Tarting up my beauties finished

I don’t know if forum rules permit, but may I ask who sourced the new grilles? Mine are getting a little shabby!

Markie foam, can be found on a popular auction site,
Check for the cut out ones,
Not the flat backed ones,

Also I believe Tom Tom audio sell them aswell, sure I will get fact checked on that :rofl:

Why do you feel they need reconing and is that even possible with this driver as it was bespoke to naim I thought?

The Mk1 drivers were made for Naim by Mordaunt-Short. Whether the cones were used in other speakers, I don’t know for sure.

The two wires are sticking out the cone, my thinking is as they are old
If I drive them to hard it might detach it self from the cone and rip,
I’ll attach some pics later to show what I mean,

1 Like

Not many images on line but the ones that are there all have the wires on the outside of the cone.

e.g.

1 Like

Here is one where the centre pole came out (not totally unusual)

Yes, not unusual with the M-S driver as the centre pole is just stuck in, whereas the Naim one is a heat sink and is decoupled via a dowel.

They are where the voice coil terminates to the short flexible wires linking the driver terminals. Very prominent on ATC speakers

1 Like

Mine have these wires too - mk1

1 Like

Sooo nice :heart_eyes:

Non on mine :man_shrugging:t3:

1 Like

It’s a different drive unit. Yours is a Naim one.

2 Likes

Are they Mk.2 ? Mine are, and like yours, there are no wires showing.

I assume it’s a feature of Mk.1 drivers.

1 Like

I like the idea of printed grilles. Are they “hard” (when compared to “soft” foam)?

The sloping front of the SBLs is an ideal launch pad for upwardly mobile kitties, and so anything that protects the precious drivers would be a good thing!

1 Like

It’s petg plastic printed on a prusa

The grain on the boxes looks really good. I hope you’ll post a photo when they’re finished!

1 Like

Yes, well 1.5’s really!
They were bought at the transition to mk2 stage, so my boxes are mk1 (no veneer on undersides/back) but mk2 drivers etc.

Hi to all of you are still following this thread,
Would my speakers be best on a granite/marble or just some screws in the floor,
I have carpet, hard chip board flooring
Then concrete
Many thanks