TdF 2020

It all seemd a bit frantic at the front yesterday. I read an article suggesting that there may be an inadvertent Covid mindset in the pelaton. Something along the lines of a concern that the race may be pulled if French cases continue to rise, therefore make sure your in yellow on the day its pulled.

Roglicz scored a few points, real and metaphorical, but not really the sort of final climb to properly test the GC boys. Bit suprised that Carapaz dropped off the final group.

Lots of climbing in this Tour but flicking through the stage profiles quite a few end with shortish punchy climbs or levelling off rather than real summit killers. Suggests to me that time gaps might be fairly small?

Bruce

I’m glad Tiesj Benoot didn’t seriously hurt himself.

Anyone want to buy a secondhand bike? :grimacing:

2 Likes

The result from yesterday’s stage may also suggest this years route is more advantageous to the abilities of Primož Roglič, and who has a very powerful Jumbo-Visma team around him, plus he’s a top class time trialist; for the one and only time trial of this years TdF, although it’s possible Pogačar could pip him for a few seconds.

Roglič could be the favourite to win now.

1 Like

…and the time trial ends with a climb to La Planches des Belles filles, 6km at 8-9% a bit like yesterday’s finish

Is it that incline? I thought it was less.
Talk on the coverage that this is being treated by the peleton as a bit of a rest stage and they can’t understand why.

Yates in yellow after Alaphillipe gets a time penalty for taking a water bottle inside the last 20km. Not the ideal way to take it.

Bruce

2 Likes

Must remind myself not to look at this thread until I have watched ITV4 highlights to avoid spoilers!

1 Like

Oh sorry!:flushed:

No need for apology - I shouldn’t have looked!

I did request at the start of this thread that spoilers are not posted. At least wait till the early eve highlights have been aired. Cooperation appreciated.

I’m pretty well versed on all the rules both written and unwritten, but can’t find any clarification on whether the no feeding in last 20km applies on summit finishes as well???
A rather damp way to take the yellow jersey, but still chuffed for Yates none the less!!!

2 Likes

The 20 second time penalty is an unfortunate hit for Alaphillipe, who probably had no intention or knowledge of breaking the rules, but at least it’s early on in the tour with time and opportunities to resolve the issue. I predict he will bounce back into the top 10 after tomorrow’s summit + plateau finish:

Stage six, September 3: Le Teil to Mont Aigoual (191km)

The finish at the Mont Aigoual will be situated on a vast “plateau” on the borders of the Gard and Lozère departments, The steepness of the road to reach it will give the day quite some excitement especially after taking on the climb to the Col de la Lusette after leaving Le Vigan. At the summit, around 15 kilometres will still have to be covered to the get to the finish line. A day when the favourites will have to remain extra focused.

1 Like

Unlike Quick-Step to mess up. They must surely have realised the stop was within 20k of the finish. Perhaps they just calculated that the jury wouldn’t penalise Alaphillippe and risk the ire of the populace…

1 Like

Of course they can bend the rules again …
Any team with a Covid case expelled … except if they are not riders …
Pragmatism for ever!

Assuming the tour goes the whole 3 weeks, who do we think will win GC and who would we like to win GC ?

Personally I would love Yates to win but think Roglic is the one.

+1 for Yates although I don’t think he will win. I would go for Bernal to win again - we haven’t seen him properly in action yet

Roglicz has the form going in, and a powerful team. Bernal not shown the same, and without a really strong No 2 as has worked so well for them in recent years.

Much as I think it is a bit risky to go against Sky/Inneos I think Roglicz is deservedly favourite.

Bruce

2 Likes

So far the GC race for the Yellow Jersey seems to be a case of devil take the hindmost:
Yesterdays crosswind peloton split was bad luck for Pogačar who lost 1 minute 21 seconds, his 3 GC place falls down to 16th, and he lost the White Jersey; which is given to Egan Bernal.

Other riders who lost out to the tune of 1 minute 21 yesterday are Mikel Landa, Carapaz, Fabio Aru, Bauke Mollema, and Richie Porte.

Sam Bennet has lost the Green Jersey; and Peter Sagan is back in his familiar colour.

A fabulous stage 7 win victory of Wout Van Aert, who is also the winner of stage 5
Team Jumbo-Visma are having a great tour!

<>

General classification after stage seven

1. Adam Yates (GBr) Mitchelton-Scott, in 30-36-00
  2. Primož Roglič (Slo) Jumbo-Visma, at 3 seconds
  3. Guillaume Martin (Fra) Cofidis, at 9 seconds
  4. Egan Bernal (Col) Ineos Grenadiers, at 13s
  5. Tom Dumoulin (Ned) Jumbo-Visma
  6. Nairo Quintana (Col) Arkéa-Samsic
  7. Romain Bardet (Fra) Ag2r La Mondiale
  8. Miguel Ángel López (Col) Astana
  9. Thibaut Pinot (Fra) Groupama-FDJ
  10. Rigoberto Úran (Col) EF Pro Cycling, all at same time
  11. Julian Alaphillipe (Fra) Deceuninck- Quick-Step at 15 seconds

Others

1. Tadej Pogačar (Slo) UAE Team Emirates, at 1-28
  2. Bauke Mollema (Ned) Trek-Segafredo at 1-34
  3. Mikel Landa (Esp) Bahrain-McLaren, at 1-34
  4. Richie Porte (Aus) Trek-Segafredo, at same time

<>

And now for an exciting weekend of back to back mountain stages! :grin:

Stage eight Saturday September 5th - Cazères to Loudenvielle (141km)

3 Likes

Who do you think for the stage today ? Alaphilippe I will go for with Yates keeping yellow.

2 Likes