Tea - what are our favourites, how do we have it?

Being from Yorkshire, I’m interested obviously, but there is only one correct answer…

“Yorkshire Tea Gold”

…am I right?

(With a splash of skimmed milk for me. CLEARLY no sugar, I’m a grown adult after all)

…what’s your poison (Favourite Tea) ? 🫖

(Earlier thread on this closed :slightly_frowning_face:)

4 Likes

I’m not a tea conossor. Any breakfast tea tastes the same. If it’s not right then maybe two bags in the cup brew will do.
In the summer a dabble with earl grey is very quenching.
Yes no sugar please and a splash of milk.
Funny, I remember being a young teenager when there would be a knock on the door with a few mates outside. It was always customary to bring them all in the kitchen. Cups of teas and biscuits, maybe some cake if freshly made before a scramble up to the bedroom. Do they still do that ?

1 Like

I don’t know where to begin on this Toby :face_with_raised_eyebrow: :joy::joy:

That’s the wonderful thing about Tea - more so than coffee with its sledgehammer flavours (and resulting coffee breath!) - there is so much variety and subtlety and preference involved.

From PG Tips builders tea to Rare Chinese Silver Needle and everything in between.

3 Likes

Yorkshire Red for my breakfast tea.
And strictly NO tea bags, it MUST be loose tea brewed in the pot.

2 Likes

Yorkshire Red. Semi skimmed milk. Tea bag in cup and 2 sugars. Builder’s tea :rofl: :joy: :rofl:

1 Like

Yes - we have some of this - very different to the Gold Tea Bags (and also to the Red tea bags :man_shrugging:) but it’s really lovely… Something ceremonial about loose tea as well :blush:

2 Likes

Builders usually prefer 4 or 5 sugars.

3 Likes

I’m cutting down. Lol :rofl:.

3 Likes

My everyday tea is a strong Yorkshire tea. For me all types of tea should be served without any milk or sugar, adding milk or sugar makes tea undrinkable, destroying the flavour. I also enjoy the occasional cup of Earl Grey, Oolong, Chamomile and Rooibos.

1 Like

I recently read that Ronnie O’Sullivan (yes - that Ronnie O’Sullivan :white_circle::red_circle::yellow_circle::green_circle::brown_circle::large_blue_circle:*:black_circle:) is a tea aficionado.

He does have milk - as do I - but his approach to it is interesting. He literally puts it in a drip as a time, TINY amounts. Stirring all the time. Takes him several minutes to make a cup - but says it avoids the boiled milk flavour that I agree is utterly verboten.

*no Pink ball available, frustrating!

1 Like

While Yorkshire tastes good, the bags contain plastic so that rules it out. We have Clipper fair trade organic. It’s not only delicious - much nicer than Yorkshire - the bags are plastic free so can be composted.

1 Like

Clipper Organic is indeed very nice - we did have that ourselves for a long time before moving on to the hard stuff…

…it’s amazing that plastics are still used in tea bags nowadays - surely times up on that.

We use Bushells lose leaf tea. I not a big fan of bags and don’t use them (matter of fact I’m just having one now watching Vera)

1 Like

Current tea bag favourite.

This has decent heft from one bag. The local very hard,disinfected water is not good for tea. So I use filtered water,full cream milk splash without sugar.
N

2 Likes

I know, it’s bonkers. But until people vote with their pockets this ridiculousness will continue. We also have a range of the brilliant Pukka herbal teas; their Night Time is great in the evening.

1 Like

99% leaf here. This weeks tea. This Earl Grey is rather good.

3 Likes

Will give this one a try - Twinings tend to be a bit wishy washy in my experience, but that certainly talks itself up!

Full Cream milk though - what are you THINKING?!?

…I actually used to do the same - a bout of flu 20 years ago cured me of Full Cream Milk in tea - and then another one about 5 years ago cured me of Semi Skimmed Milk in tea. Go figure. Skimmed milk now and just a splash of it in SUPER strong tea.

Maybe if I get Flu again I’ll be drinking my tea black :man_shrugging: …and if I ever get COVID - well that could turn me towards to Coffee :confounded:

Earl Grey is my everyday tea. Steeped for a couple of minutes and then just the tiniest drop of milk.
For people who find EG too floral, a mix of 50% EG and 50% Red Label is really easy to drink and has so much more character than a bag of builders.

Love the tea pot. Any details?

I’m sure there was a near identical thread a year or two ago…

First an observation: the taste of tea varies with the hardness of water, so it is likely that a blend anyone prefers at home may not taste as good somewhere else in the country. I heard some years ago that different blends are supplied according to where in the country it goes, though I don’t know if that means that, say, PG Tips varies, or if it meant the same manufacturer may have different brand names simply allowing choice (i guess the latter). Water where I am is pretty soft, though not extremely. For “English” tea we normally use PG Tips teabags, and my preference is medium strength, with a smallish amount of skimmed milk. I make it in the mug, adding milk after removal of teabag (a blind comparison a couple of decades ago proved I couldn’t tell the differnce between that and made with loose tea in a pot). I can’t stand it with sugar - even 1/4 teaspoon changes the taste significantly. I drink mine out of a pint mug (bone china), normally one pint when I get up, and on working days at least three in the evening, possibly less if hot weather because I find water more refreshing. During the day at work I only drink water.

It is rare for me to drink more than 4 pints of English tea with milk in a day - weekends if at home I’ll often have two or three in the morning, then switch to Chinese (without milk of course) - still by the pint. My go-to Chinese tea is one that has a touch of ginseng, giving a slightly sweeter flavour and pleasant aftertaste, though I like several others and have several from which to choose. I also make Chinese tea in the mug, despite being loose leaf (the leaves are big after swelling with water, so not an issue), however the leaves stay in the cup - I’ll top up with hot water when empty or if getting too strong, typicall up to 2-3 full topups before changing leaves or adding a bit more leaf on the refill.

I don’t like full fat milk in tea, and if on hol somewhere where that is the only milk I’ll have my English tea black but a lot weaker. I also like Earl Grey, but only weak (teabag dipped for a few seconds) and milkless.

2 Likes