Tea - what are our favourites, how do we have it?

Asda used to carry ( and may well still) a very nice teabag brand called The London Cuppa by The London Tea Company.
I came across it during some work I was doing a few years ago with the national social work standards agency, so they were quite posh. I was surprised how much I liked the brew, bag or not. They also had Dyson hand driers in the loos - they were (to me) pretty posh too!

I’ve never liked Waitrose tea blends ( thinking of that flavoured stuff above - yick). Preferred Sainsburys.

I don’t mind a drop of good Gunpowder tea n’all.
Fortnums again.

Too many to name. I have a tea cabinet with about 25 tins of loose leaf tea at any one time.

Vast majority are plantation specific Assam (always CTC preparation for me) or Darjeeling teas. But I have a fondness for flavoured black teas too. Most commonly, cinnamon, blueberry, chocolate, spice. There are a couple Rooibos teas too for when the mood strikes.

Unless I’m making chai in a saucepan, never any milk.

My goto for day to day office pick me up is Assam TGFBOP or a Lapsang Souchon.

Despite living in Japan, I almost never buy green tea. I like it, but the careful 68c temperature control of the water is too much bother.

I’ve tried a number of tea sellers but many years ago settled with Lupicia. The quality is consistent and selection good. Too many others have sold me the odd tin of dust.

3 Likes

A selection of teas from our kitchen cupboard:

3 Likes

58FA4C81-7244-46D1-9B82-89CFF08475D9-8899-00000871FA3ABAF9

When moving house, it was customary to use old tea chests to put your newspaper wrapped bits and pieces in. Do they still do that ??

4 Likes

Everything about that box is a contradiction in terms

I think Mr. Bean is from my old stomping ground in Sheffield and South Yorkshire. As is Patrick Stewart, another one known for compulsive ordering of Earl Grey (one blend I really cannot abide).

Oh you mentioned Rooibos , not strictly a tea, but very refreshing and the only time I switch from the basic teas.

Best drank from the veranda of a South African lodge watching elephants and having afternoon tea.

1 Like

Super selection. What would you recommend as a “dim sum style” Chinese tea?

Patrick Stewart is from Mirfield - betwixt Leeds and Huddersfield (and alarmingly near Dewsbury) - as was Robert Palmer. As am I.

It claims to be the largest village in Britain. But I think there are about 309 places claim that :face_with_raised_eyebrow::roll_eyes:

I’m with you 1000% on Earl Grey. It’s horrendous.

1 Like

For the avoidance of @Innocent_Bystander 's doubt, here’s the sentence with the implied parts added:

[I always have] Skimmed milk [in my tea] - [because] anything with fat makes it taste greasy to me [otherwise].

Hope that’s cleared that up.

Mark

I like mine with a splash of semi skimmed goats milk.

A perfect example of how economy with words can lead to misinterpretation. I just assumed you were continuing reference to semi-skimmed, but accidentally had missed off the prefix semi-: but still that wasn’t quite the right understanding! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I’ve never had goats milk - let alone in tea - is it not a bit…well…Goaty?

Exactly as I do (described in an earlier post). Have you tried Margaret Hope 2nd Flush Darjeeling? It my favourite. 1st flush is good too but harder to come by and a lot lighter, fresher taste.

That brings back memories, tea chests were adapted to store all sorts in grandad’s and dad’s workshops, I used to break them up to get timber for my first forays in carpentry. I learned to use a fretsaw with tea-chest plywood.
Later when a student in Cheltenham, there was a tea/coffee shop on the Prom, run by an ex serviceman with a pirate hook where he had lost an arm. We used to buy chests to make furniture, tea chest bass for to folk group.
And, no I don’t think they are used for removals any more.

1 Like

Of those in my pic, probably the top right, though I have no idea what it is called! My go-to Chinese tea just to drink is the top left.

1 Like

Mrs R and I have booked our Covid jabs for next weekend. She wants us to lay off alcohol for a few days, so I suggested that I cook Chinese one night if she could find some tea to go with it.

After some research she thinks that the tea we have at Taipan in MK is Oolong. She got some today from Sainsbury’s. We have yet to try it.

1 Like

Hearing the name I recognise it where I couldn’t think of it earlier - certainly a common one in Chinese restaurants, and the same as or similar to the top right bag in my pic. And I remember now that the ginseng one I like is Oolong with ginseng.

1 Like

Interesting - I’ve been meaning to ask for years what it is. Our plan is to get a delivery tonight - so if I get chance to I’ll ask Bryan for the specific brand.

It’s funny. Oolong is your basic chugging tea in Japan. Can’t think of a single restaurant that doesn’t serve it. Go into KFC or Burger King, 90% of customers get iced Oolong.

I probably chug down 2L it a day in summer.

My friend does bring quality Oolong leaves for me vacuum packed from China every year but I just buy 2L bottles of it from 7-Eleven each morning.

Lapsang Souchong is what I expect in most Cantonese restaurants here but the tea itself is from Fujian.

1 Like