Technics SL 1200 v Rega P8

They do SL and SH - low and high output respectively, sharing the “S” (Shibata) stylus. Same with the ML and MH (Microline) and EL and EH (elliptical)

I found the h high output version not high enough for a standard mm input. It performs but sounds a little flat and two dimensional if that makes sense. I run my P3 hana eh with an e card on the 82. Prior to that I ran it with the Rega fono mc set on its lowest input. On the fono mm, the 82 n, or the GoldNote mm setting the ‘flatness’ was the same. I also have the Hana SL on the P8. If you can run to it the SL is a better sounding cart and releases more detail

1 Like

It’s definitely interesting.

Hifi+ and Analogue Planet both have online reviews comparing the ML and MH fwiw

As a technics sl1200 owner for over two decades i can clearly confirm all the above comments.
The latter technics models, the GR specifically is a completely different beast than the previous models.
Its sound quality & isolation compared to the oldest models is in completely different level.
Match it with the right phono pre & cartridge & you have a very powerful weapon in your system.
Just consider there are people who still believe the gr & g models are DJ turntables (without even listen to them),lol.
Enjoy mate.

5 Likes

Wonderful shop is Hifi Sound :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Cheers @gthack , I vaguely remember reading it in Hifi Plus (physical version), I’ll check it out.

Some attractive deals going on these turntables at the mo ……

1 Like

Technics all the way :wink:

2 Likes

I bought an SL100C (baby 1200) in a Black Friday sale at Costco last November. The Technics cost me the same as a pair of DIN-XLR cables for the 282/HCDR to NC250.3!

Haven’t really listened to it yet other than to turn it on to check it works…system back in action end of the month fingers crossed :crossed_fingers:t2:. Looking forward to revisiting my old 80’s and 90’s 12’’ers.

4 Likes

It sure is.staff are brilliant would highly recommend

1 Like

I see that these upgraded technics 1200 are specially well built. They are also very highly rated. But i think it’s sad that they look quite identical to the entry level dj turntables.
It’s the reason I bought the P10. If they looked different, I would have bought the 1200 G instead.

3 Likes

I recently bought a Technics 1210GR as well and its a great turntable and takes standard headshells so I can swap cartridges as and when. I also bought a Rega P8 a week or so later as a comparative and there is a difference with an identical cartridge and stylus in each. The Rega has a more natural organic sound, and is a shade lower noise floor. The Technics is built like a tank and feels as if will last 50 years.
The P8 has engineering a scale up on the 1200GR. Both are brilliant. I didn’t buy the P10 because I like black themed decks. My long termer is a Michel Orb.

6 Likes

Oddly enough, it was designed as an audiophile deck. The pitch control came later when it was discoved DJs in New York were using the deck because of it’s ability to have the platter spun faster, slower or backwards by hand. Technics shoved on some adjustable feet and the pitch slider and the 1200 we know now was born.

5 Likes

yes, the basics are similiar, the details better on the P8!

1 Like

Detailed sound is almost similar as between the 1210GR and the P8 but the P8 has it on the organic realistic sound. I would say Roy Gandy has realised that the plinth weight does cause a loss of organic realism. If I had to place a bet on it, maybe the difference is in note decay which is shortened on a heavier plinth. Just like all turntables and phono amps the combinations are almost infinite, and as such are a happy hunting ground for sales of everything phono. I think the manufacturers always knew this hence the “discovery” of vinyl was a joy made in profit heaven for them. Or am I being too cynical.

I had an SME 20/2 with SMEV before. This deck has a much heavier plinth vs the P8 and P10. It weighs around 20 kg. The sound was more organic vs the Rega, more weighty , with better bass. So I won’t say that a weighter plinth causes a loss of organic sound.
The P10 is airier and quicker, more involving than the SME. All depends on the kind of music and kind of presentation the person prefers.

4 Likes

no you are absolutely right!

I have an LP12 Majik and I keep looking at the 1200…

1 Like

Maybe food for thought. The Funk Firm Achromat (which can be used on any turntable) was specifically designed with the SL-1200 in mind and the 5mm version specifically designed for the SL-1200GR (though you need to use the VTA to compensate for the new platter height).

I’ve not tried it yet and I know results with Rega or Linn decks are reported as awful. But apparently it works brilliantly on Technics decks and is considered a massive upgrade.

I’m torn between leaving the Technics headshell and mat as is and fitting the Achromat and a Luxman headshell.

Yup, tried this and the sprung feet together and separately on a Rega (mat on Rp6, feet and mat on P3).

Both results awful. The feet aren’t particularly surprising, turning an unsuspended Rega effectively into a sprung. Both decks lost all their Mojo.

Found it a real lesson is designer knows best, felt like a kid who had dropped his suspension and now had his wheels hitting the arches over every speed bump.

1 Like