Technics SL 1200 v Rega P8

The Linn Majik was originally in my thoughts as a possibility but so many people I have spoken to including dealers say I would be wasting my money. After all it is only their entry level deck and I would probably need to spend as much again to get something decent. It’s probably an age thing but I can’t be bothered with constantly looking for upgrades and tinkering with things. This turntable package I’ve ended up with will give me all I ever need so that I can do the important thing which is listening to and enjoying music and not listening to the hi fi and craving for more….there is always something better

7 Likes

My thoughts exactly. An SL-1200 will probably last a lifetime with no servicing. The isolation feet are superb so you can pretty much not worry about needing a dedicated wall shelf. Even the lack of a rack doesn’t massively impact it’s performance. And you can wash the mat in the kitchen sink! It’ll never need a belt change or oil on the spindle. How good the power supply is is moot since you can’t change it anyway. All these count in it’s favour.

That said, I picked up a Sumiko headshell about an hour ago to go with the Sumiko Moonstone I use. My dealer had one ex-dem. I took the chance.

4 Likes

The Majik has two serious limitations that can easily be solved. Ditch the Majik PSU (which really is the weakest spot) for even a Hercules or a Lingo 1 (my preference) and the Adikt and you really don’t need more.

The package as is I cannot recommend. Because of the above, one can likely do better building a parts deck from a reputable dealer, but there’s no need to spend more than what a Majik costs.

1 Like

I tried the Achromat on my older 1210 MK2 and it was anything but a massive upgrade!
It did change the sound a little but for me it was maybe gains and losses and I just didn’t really like it that much.

But after I had a copper mat bonded to the platter the Achromat was pretty much useless after that.

On the GR the platter is so well damped it’s not necessary anyway.

1 Like

I couldn’t justify spending any more than I already have on my turntable package. For the price of a basic Majik I’ve got a great sounding deck, Rega Aura PS and cart. Going down the Majik route with all the necessary upgrades would probably double my initial spend and would it really sound any better? The savings I’ve made will allow me to eventually upgrade the speakers and this to me makes more sense. I think that most of the gear that would make a real difference is way out my league anyway. I just hope to enjoy what I have

2 Likes

Thanks for the insight. I spoke to my dealer today and while he stocks some very expensive mats, he’s personally fond of the Technics rubber standard too.

3 Likes

On my GR the supplied mat is perfectly adequate.

2 Likes

There’s a few issues (just to provide perspective, I don’t think I’ll ever trade mine for anything else).

The PSU, while good in a sense, does feed ground noise audibly into the system via RCA ground. In my case solved by removing a Homeplug device.

The VTA adjustment doesn’t go low enough. When changing headshells or cartridges this quickly became an issue. I solved this by replacing the mat with a thicker one (original Technics SFTG172-01, recommended). This does then leave you with a very short spindle.

I think both are really unfortunate oversights in the design, especially the second one that could easily have been solved. Then again, VTA doesn’t really matter, it’s more that if I have adjustment, I’d like to use it. Plus the mat I mentioned is an upgrade as well.

Having said that I still think it’s a great deck and wouldn’t want anything else.

2 Likes

Try the Vertere mat and the KAB damper. Both give worthwhile improvements on my mates G and my SL1000r

8 Likes

At only 3mm, I think that mat is as thick at best, probably even slimmer than the original one? It wouldn’t solve the VTA issue, or do you put it on top of the original one?

I’ll have a look at the KAB danper, thanks for the recommendation!

Understand re VTA my 1000 has more adjustability than the G/GR so that wasn’t an issue for me. I just replace the standard mat with the Vertere for pure sound quality reasons. I also tried the 5mm Achromatic and didn’t like it preferring the standard one

2 Likes

I’m currently using a Hexmat Eclipse matt on my old Technics 1210.

The matt’s got little triangular cutouts which have a little bobble in each one, these sit proud of the rest of the matt so your record only touches these little bobbles so only a very small area is in contact with the platter and record.

I’ve never compared or tried any other matts so I can’t recommend or elaborate any further.

It’s an interesting concept though, I also got a free Molekula Record clamp which also works on the same/similar principal.

I think the idea is that it lifts the record from the platter and so prevents any vibration from the platter reaching the record and any vibration in the record is drawn away to the platter.

I think the idea with the Molekula Record clamp is that any vibration in the spindle or record is transferred to the clamp. It’s called a clamp but it just sits on top of the record.

Molekula Record clamp

Well, still very happy with my P8 :wink:

Thanks for such a super thread , years ago I had a Technics TT , changed it for a Rega 3.

Couldn’t believe how such a simple product from a small British firm could out-perform well engineered product from a major Japanese company. I also had a Technics receiver .

They were my first serious audio products and I have always had a fondness for the brand .

1 Like

Which deck did you have? My first deck was a Technics SL-D2 and as it was inherited and I was young it was set up wrong and I assumed it was naff and errr binned it. And if I’m honest thought Technics was a bit of a joke for the next 30 years. There is a whole range of gear in that system I got shot of and in hindsight should have kept every last item.

I have no doubt a P2 upwards outperforms the SL-D2 but gosh was the D2 a pleasure to use.

2 Likes

I am considering a pre-loved 1200G from 2016. What is the difference between a 1200G and a 1200G-S ?? Thank you

1 Like

It’s one for the Rega for me. I’ve just got the P8 with Apheta 3 and couldn’t be happier.

1 Like

Love my P8 - even with the modest Ania MC :heart_eyes:

Glad to hear it. Just proves what a killer deck it is.

1 Like

Interesting, I’ve never seen or heard of a “-S” before. Quick google als doesn’t turn up anything.

Perhaps they just quietly changed the model number when they moved production to Malaysia?

If there were any real differences, I’d expect there to be plenty of information when googling. I guess you can always ask Panasonic/Technics to confirm.