Technics SL 1200 v Rega P8

The brand new 1200G are 1200G-S models, cannot find any info on line about it, even on Technics site, wonder what the diff is, won’t buy one without finding out…

When the SL-1200 was launched it was only available in silver. The other 1200 had a black 1210 versions but black as an option for the top end SL-1200G was a while coming and when it did, the model was still 1200. So when ordering, you choose either a “-B” or “-S” suffix.

That’s an explation I found in Japanese from a comment on a price aggregator site.

It fits with how I’ve seen every other Japanese maker denote product colour version.

2 Likes

Thank you FZ, I appreciate it

So, now the big question, black, or silver!?

You do know one sounds better, right? :wink:

1 Like

I never liked performance or looks of older SL1200 from the 90s.

Then I went to hear some of the new editions (there’s many editions)
Stunned how much better they were now,
Thought what the heck, I will get used to the looks, coming from Rega and LP12 decks.

Can’t see myself without a Technics now.

6 Likes

Back in 88 we paid a premium for black. Lol, now I’d go with silver

1 Like

Which one(s) do you have?

I bought a Technics 1210GR which is solid and reliable and easy to use. Can’t criticise it really but maybe a touch dry and sterile versus the Rega P8. I have to admit never understanding that Rega decks were designed and made in England. There are excellent videos about the founder and factory on You Tube that are worth seeing. Anyhow I bought the P8 as an experiment and it is quite and eye opener as both engaging and very musical. I have yet to be persuaded about MC v MM and I am using one of my old Shure V15 Mk4 cartridges on it.

6 Likes

So now, almost 2 months later, still waggling between the Preloved 2016 built Technics 1200G and preloved P10 (instead of P8).

Since the Monterey Peninsula is kind of like an island, I really don’t have any way of doing a demo with my own ears in advance. I don’t care what my future TT “‘looks like” only care about the sound of the deck.

Used P10 is just over $1K USD more, but that in the long run really doesn’t matter.

1 Like

Well, bits are just bits, as the all sources sound the same mantra goes… :rofl:

Just to save you the time in case you want to stop reading, I have never heard the P10. The 1200G is a great deck though.

The reasons I rejected it, the look (which you don’t care about) and the lack of a dustcover. Other advantages of the 1200 are that it’s built like a tank. Even if you happen to be young expect it to outlast you without ever needing any maintenance. And the removable headshell in case you’d like to swap cartridges. (Plus you can buy pre mounted ones saving you the time or having to bother your dealer)

2 Likes

Like @n-lot I also discounted the Rega without listening. I’m guilty of doing the same to the the LP12 :scream:

I did pitch the 1200G against Michell Gyrodec SE and an Origin Live Aurora - both well respected decks. To my ears there weren’t material differences in SQ between them, just subjective preference.

The 1200G (and all the 1200 variants) is a doddle to use, I use mine all the time. It might sound silly, but it makes me want to play side after side. The big plinth (compared to the Rega, and I know the reasons why the Rega has a vestigial plinth) is a great place to rest your hand cueing up. The start/stop is instant. Changing speed is instant. I’m not saying you wouldn’t get used to the Rega, not at all, just that the UX of the 1200 is great. I’m sure that contributed to it being used so much “professionally”.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.