That’s silly!

Just seeing this thread so coming a bit late to the party.
If this cable is indeed the same and supplied by Chord than shouldn’t it be purchased direct and save some money?
Or is Chord making it for Kudos and incorporating additional changes to it?

I hope Derek is not doing a branding exercise and simply adding the Kudos name to the exact same cable.

Best
Gregg

I haven’t seen this KS1 stuff in the flesh, but in photos looks fatter to me. Sarsen is really thin. Also it apparently has silver plated copper conductors and FEP insulation instead of PTFE, so I don’t think it’s rebranded Sarsen.

I picked a couple of 5 m runs from my dealer and commented it could be a Chord look a like. Apparently Derek at Kudos was having quality problems with Chord who were changing suppliers, maybe to maximise profits…but the sound was changing. Its very possible that Derek is being supplied by an old Chord supplier, but definitely not direct from Chord.
I am finding the same as @Polarbear better mid range and top end, bass still good. I pulled a SL loom out that had been on home demo , i much prefer my old interconnects and KS-1. My room is heavily damped, carpet, wallpaper, curtains etc…this seems to cut through nicely and gives more detail, but still the Naim Prat. I will be ordering a set.

2 Likes

Hi Chris,

its not a Chord cable, its a Kudos cable, its made specifically for Kudos to Dereks specifications.

Kind regards

PB

Can’t see any capacitance or inductance figures quoted. Is this safe for use on old school Naim?

1 Like

I thought as much! I suspect that there are very few companies with the resources to actually manufacture cables, as opposed to design, terminate and market them. I would guess that even Chord have this done for them to their specification, although I could be wrong.

Cardas Audio does everything. They sell their wire to other OEM’s , they even have an interest in a Copper Mine.

1 Like

Have you changed your speaker link cables as well PB? I am using NACA 5 links here, the main speaker cables are SL.

Nope, we are using the original Kudos link cables Michael and back to NACA cable until I get a pair of Kudos cables ordered :blush:

Thanks for that… was wondering what links made of the new cable would sound like.

I use Chord Company Clearway £10 per metre. I’m happy with them.

2 Likes

So as I have Kudos speakers …I thought I should try the new Kudos cable

So system is loosely …core>NDS/555 >72>250>super 20

Usual cables are either A5 or tellurium black as the fancy takes me

So the Kudos cable comes over very very smooth to me, with out the A5 punch …but also without the slight downsides of A5
It also doesn’t give anything much away to the black , though I don’t think it is as insightful
All said… excellent value if it suits your system.!

Couple of pictures so you can gauge size …

Black on left / Kudos centre / A5 right

4 Likes

Slightly off topic Japtimscarlet, see you have changed your speakers from Russell K 100 to Kudos. are you finding them a good upgrade.

Yes…I had the Russell K for over 4 years and loved them (and still love them)
The S20 are a little more “grown up” but builds on all the K100 strengths (I.M.O)
There is all the clarity and most of the speed of the K100 , with the Kudos…but more bass (which the K100 lacked a little) and a slightly larger sound stage
The Russell K are a great speaker for realism and speed addict’s

1 Like

The Kudos guy at the Bristol Show told me they have bought 5km of the stuff!

1 Like

That’s no good, …too far to hear the speakers placed at that distance! :upside_down_face:

9 Likes

To be fair, as we are talking a pair of cables, that is only 2.5km. Still big room though.

6 Likes

Is the kudos cable a really small gauge, or is it just because it’s next to the 4mm2 A5?

It is of a smaller gauge…yes

I’ve put a good few hours on it now and I’m really starting to warm to its qualities
I would have thought…and I’m not stating this as a certainly…that it would be good for a system that tends towards sibilance , as it’s so smooth and mellow

That’s probably a minimum order (100 x 50m reels) so that the supplier will print their name and logo on it
Sounds a lot …but not really once you have spread a few reels around your favourite dealers …I know signals has a reel now

Any guesses on how much a metre it is in bulk?
I’m saying less than a £1.50