The 2019 Naim new products

Some form of mains normalisation device, to provide a clean, correct supply.

A one box streamer in the 500 guise.

Voice control, for basic device controls and also searching for something to play. Apps are so last decade, voice control and AI to queue tracks.

something like the dcs vivaldi one: cd player/ dac/ streamer/ preamp in one box

Interesting at £55k, just read an interesting glowing review.

I personally think the mutli box setup is on its last legs and niche, the same way vinyl.

Single high end all singing and dancing types, that are heard and not seen.

Heck to advance that may even just active speakers and everyrhing direct from the cloud (handling all the dac and preamp functions).

Then the model shifting from hatdware sales to subscription services cloud based.

I think Linn are not as daft as it seems with the new range, i think they see the DSLR vs Mobile phone camera (cue the new 5 camera Nokia).writing on the wall.

Naim is not the nice cult following we all remember, its a global success but managed by people wanting a good EBIT margin.

I just hope with the recent changing of the guard with homegrown Naimites the sound we love remains.

1 Like

Sort of a high end Alexa😳

Out of interest, and if you have one already, the Oppo 205 can do all this already (incl pre-amp. - and it’s a Roon certified end point!), and may be worth a try? It’s also a lot smaller than the DCS Vivaldi solution…

Doesn’t give the same audio quality though as my Naim separates system (nor would I have expected it to)…

ATB. George.

Without screen though. Can’t even watch Julia playing. :sunglasses:

Chag -

I always imagined hifi would become a real in your room experience, as in a holographic 3D band image, something you would see and hear.

but the dcs one may be on the level of 552/ nd555/ 552ps/ 555dr, but in one box. Your oppo made in China is more on the uniti star level…
So i don’t understand “ out of interest”

Agree it’s not at same level as 500 series (and I did say that), but is a ‘one box solution’ you could try today if you already have an Oppo…

Don’t agree though that location of manufacture has any bearing on sound quality…

ATB. G.

it’s just that you can’t compare the dcs with oppo, not in the same league. Your “ out of interest “ comment made me a bit nasty…

1 Like

I agree. The N272 is old tech and has the Nova ahead of it in terms of streaming UI and performance with SQ close to the 272/250 combo.

The Nova is close to the SN2 and has better UI.

There needs to a 372 with the spec and styling of the Nova to run with a power amp of choice and a high end replacement for the SN2 to run with the ND5 XS2 or NDX2. Two box modern options above the Nova with the new technology and modern UI.

4 Likes

Mike i totally agree with you :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I remember somebody once saying that just because Tony Blair had built a big dome it didn’t mean Britain had been reinvented😀

If someone has made a better integrated amp than a Supernait 2 with a HiCapDR I haven’t heard it… and with an ND5 XS2 or the NDX2 it’s spectacular. Not sure it needs a ‘high end replacement’.

2 Likes

I think Naim needs to put an analog pre into the ND555 powered by a 555DR with separated feeding for the analog and digital sections. That will sell really well. Waiting for it to replace my 272. At a minimum they can do it with NDX2.
Hopefully they will come with something good this year or risk falling well behind. The market is moving that direction. Consolidation!

3 Likes

Funny isn’t it? When Naim brought the Musos to the market there were siren voices that they had sold out. Now some are arguing for integration at 500 level.

Vive la difference!

But that would undo much of the good work in isolating both the streamer and the pre from both ingress and emission of this pesky mechanical, electrical and magnetic gremlins that so pollute these delicate electronics. Much of the cost of the ND555 has gone into the design and execution of the isolation it enjoys.

You might get an externally powered 372 out of a marriage of the main sections of a NDX 2 and a 252 (no suspension in either) but Naim have intimated that the 272 is as far as they could push this concept without harming the overall SQ.

But I have been wrong many times before.

1 Like

The 272 has an excellent volume control. Can they put that into the ND555? For many of us, that only do digital, the analog inputs are irrelevant though convenient to have just in case you change your mind at some point. All I do is streaming from the NAS, Qobuz or Tidal. I believe this is the direction the market is going and what the majority of the people I know are doing these days.
If they come with a 372 as you are describing, I will go for it. Probably that would be good enough for a while until new technologies come into play.

For me a 272 with no inbuilt PSU to make space and only a 555 to power it, pre equals 252 or higher with NDX2 streamer module.

And for 5k :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That’s reassuring re the SN2, I’m thinking more of modernising it for functionality and styling like the Nova.