The 2019 Naim new products

I don’t believe its needed with Naim equipment with respect to SQ, no. It might have other benefits elsewhere - although I can’t think what that really would be. Yes you can see how important the Burndy connectors are.

As far as ordering - I suspect we are really in the fringes of difference here - but theoretically I could envisage the impedance of differing loads interacting with the impedance of the power block bus bars… but having a large conductor as a bus bar with intrinsic low impedance is going to limit the effect I would have thought…

Thank you Simon,

Just one clarification regarding normal interconnects (not preamp (PS) to power amp): do the Naim CD players IC’s carry the earth? We don’t have to have a Burndy. Would the 555 Burndy carry the earth or the IC or both to something like an nDAC or NDX2?

Phil

Naim CDP carry signal ground.
Which 555 are you referring to? Typically the Burndy connectors for the NACs will carry the signal ground through to the amps

Naim star ground is only related to signal ground (-ve) , it has nothing to do with power earth

@Simon-in-Suffolk, If you have a bare CDP how does the signal ground get to the preamp?

Phil

Well there’s a point. But the truth is many Naim users still use vinyl, a radio tuner and digital source(s).

For me this a simple question. A new 373 and a integrated high end amp. If Naim wants to stay on top because more and more possibilities arise on my quest to upgrading. Like Mcintosch or AVM or others. So please Naim or a new 373 or a high end integrated amp for 2019.

3 Likes

And this signal ground is connected to mains earth at one point, as far as I understand? Suggesting that signal ground is not completely isolated from mains earth. so perhaps there is more to this?

I once had a dealer come to my house to fettle my system and things were sounding very promising till the final moment when he connected all the mains leads to the components in my system.

The sound tanked. At the time, we thought it was a warm-up issue though this didn’t really add up as the sound was OK before this final connection.

After a few days, the penny dropped. I forgot that the order of components on the mains block I was using (and still using) was critical – and as soon as I corrected that – the mojo was back. My simplistic explanation is that the block connects the various components in series, which means that each component if affected by the electrical characteristics of previous ones – whether this is just impedance – I don’t know.

I definitely recall Naim themselves recommending a low impedance radial circuit to feed the hifi – and I also recall them also recommending fan-out arrangement such the so called ‘hydra’ (and the powerigel is just a variant of that with quality ‘cold weld’ connections).

I often wish I understood enough to be able to model all this and analyse it. For a hydra, it would seem that each component has the same voltage but different current (because of different impedance, which would also possibly introduce IV phase). Assuming the components in block can be modelled as a series arrangement – then the components will get the same current, but will have different V across them – this could be part of the reason why order of plug-in may matter – but as I say, I have not analyses this – although I have definitely experienced the difference – and painfully so…

enjoy/ken

Via the interconnect? Slightly curious about the question.

I think highend integrated amp is a conflict terms in the world of Naim. High end for Naim means separation and decoupling, it’s fundamental to their philosophy and design principles for high end sound.
Naim do make the Nait series that integrate NAC and Power-amp, they were revamped not that long ago.

Naim is not the sort the company that creates new products every year… that tends to be more for the mass consumer markets… Naim products tend to last for decades, so bringing a new version out every year or even every few years is none sensical.

I guess if you like annual product marketing releases, best look elsewhere

1 Like

Simon if Naim this year does not come out with some new products for me a reason to leave Naim after 20 years for sure. Also do not forget the problems with quality control Naim has. Just take a look on this forum. So its change or slowly go under. Or maybe Samsung still wants to buy it :slight_smile:

Nothing to be curious about other than it would seem that the IC carries signal ground to units that can float (if you have a CDP) like nDAC, NDX…, and their power supply then has signal ground extended through the Burndy.

Sometimes members ask questions about the float/chassis switch and it is suggested to set to chassis even when another box is set to chassis to see if there is an improvement in SQ. It seems a very murky area.

Not murky at all, it’s quite straight forward really… there should be one and only one earth grounded source to the NAC… if there was more than one a ground loop would be created, and potentially induced noise depending on size of loop and local environmental conditions. If there was no grounded source then the the ground would float and be capacitively coupled to whatever… again potentially inducing very low levels of noise to the signal.

I’m not sure I follow your logic. In the last 5 years Naim have launched a range of new products from Muso to Statement and I should imagine any quality control problems have been exacerbated by trying to do too much. What more are you looking for?

Regards,

Lindsay

1 Like

Cobblers!

Therefore some members are giving bad advice. Also I thought once upon a time that my CDX2 used as a transport for nDAC provided system ground. Even my dealer thought I would not have to set nDAC to chassis. It comes from not having precise user documents!

So better documents or even a new one covering getting the best out of our purchases would be my vote.

2 Likes

If that’s the way you feel, leaving Naim is almost certainly better for you. Go to a mass market brand that revamps it’s range every couple of years if you want change for the sake of change.

Alas your dealer it appears was not giving correct advice unless you had your CDX2 analogue outputs routed to the NAC as well as using NDAC as CDX2 transport. You don’t need to select the source on the NAC for the earth signal grounding to function.
Therefore for example, those of us that use a Hugo with a floating signal ground use another source signal grounded source, such as the streamer analogue outputs, prefereably via DIN, to connect to the NAC. I actually use my CDX2 to ground reference my 552.

1 Like

This is fast changing world nothing stays the same so also brands have to change. If your happy with what you have enjoy it. But for us who want to upgrade its more important that possiblities outside Naim are growing. The people on this forum are owners of Naim gear not owner of the brand. A while ago the opinons about the Dutch Naim forum was that the Dutch where to negative. I think now that some British on this forum are to negative. Maybe find another hobby :slight_smile: :wink: :slight_smile:

Yes, definitely we need upgrades and updates, in the first place, to the current line of products.