The 2019 Naim new products

In terms of upgrading from a Nova, I wonder which would be a better / sensible option - trade the Nova against an SN2 and fork out for a NDX2 or buy a 250dr and run the Nova as a pre-streamer for a year or so then upgrade to what ever the 272 replacement might be, presuming there will be one at some point.

The Uniti FM/DAB tuner would be useful given how overdue it is! Followed by new pre-amps with digital volume control.

As an out-there random, a Windows/MAC client app for multi-room. So when working from home I can blend the multi-room stream with my PC audio stream.

1 Like

How about a NAS with 2 (or more) ports?

It usually makes little sense to add switches into typical “leaf” devices; unless it’s a very common thing/device to plug “in between”.

Here it is
But not sure it’ll help :wink:
https://www.synology.com/en-global/products/DS718+#specs

Personally I’d prefer on the streamer but just a suggestion. :wink:

I use an intel NUC as a NAS… makes life sooo… much easier. I can basically install any programme I want. So it’s a NAS running assett but I could also load buble upnp etc… Having two lan ports on equipment is quite common nowadays but not so on mini PCs.

I don’t understand what you’re trying to achieve here? Why does your NAS need to be on the rack? How does such a short Ethernet cable help - it can be argued that very short lengths can be bad. As for putting more network hardware inside the streamer, that’s just going to increase electrical noise, make optimisation of the internal layout harder, and add to the cost. I would think that a single cable coming from a switch and NAS located well away from the rack would be optimal.

2 Likes

Okay… length doesn’t matter but it saves me having the NAS back at the router which, for me, makes it a lot neater but each to their own. :slight_smile: As to electrical noise… well if you’re having a lan port there and all the associated digital gubbins to support it then changing the lan port chip for one with two ports is, IMHO, neither here nor there but it was just something on my personal wish list :wink:

1 Like

It is explained in another thread that a long cable is better. It doesn’t have to be anything other than standard cat5e.

Phil

In my case, I would be keeping the Nova anyway, but I’m not convinced we will see an updated 272. My dealer was of the view a NDX2/SN2 will outperform the N272/250 anyway.

I know the SN2/NDX2 outperforms a 272/250, but it’s quite a big cost to change and I for one didn’t think it was worth the money. I imagine that’s why some 272 owners are hoping naim will introduce an updated version.
A local dealer recommended a Linn Akurate DSM as a front end upgrade that matches well with a NAP250DR, and avoids losing money downgrading the NAP250DR to a SN2. That combination sounded great to me, but I was not keen on the Akurate’s looks and the Klimax was in another league money (and sound) wise.
The Auralic Vega G2 has a similar triptych look to Naim’s Classic boxes, so that might be an option; it even has the same type of analogue volume control on the 272 I believe. That might be the one if a new 272 doesn’t appear?

G2 with 250?

1 Like

That’s what I am thinking SS, but I haven’t heard that combination yet.

1 Like

It exists. It’s called a Uniti Core once you use an internal hard disk.

Uniti Core has one “lan port” (one Ethernet connector)

Another enthusiastic vote for FM/DAB on both the Uniti range (soon?) AND for the streamers.

Also, PLEASE, a digital or analogue line level output from the Unitis. In that respect they are a step back from the UnitiQutes

1 Like

Please skip it on my ND555. :nerd_face:

Chag -

1 Like

Speaking of 'most NAC users use one or two inputs," does anyone know why the NAC 252 doesn’t have “Phono” as one of the labeled inputs?

Possibly because it doesn’t have a phono stage onboard. If one was labelled as such it might imply that was the case, which would cause confusion.

1 Like

The Tiger Paw Javelin looks the proverbial bees knees, and claims to improve on the Aro. The only thing (aesthetically) I don’t like is the Javelin’s headshell. It’s just crying out for an Aro headshell and fingerlift with the old Naim logo. Classic.

It’s always optional, Chag. Just be nice to have the choice!