The Best 👌

I only buy pork meat from a local farmer. Mangalitsa breed. These pigs are happy!
Me petting one of them. More expensive than from the supermarket, but meat should be expensive. It is not a human right to eat meat.

14 Likes

Typical bloody Hackney. But this is delicious - just like being in Sicily! You can get it in posh supermarkets.

8 Likes

What’s not to like about a good gelato. :grin:

3 Likes

The calories! :joy::joy:

1 Like

Everything in moderation. Life would be pretty boring without ice cream/gelato imo.

2 Likes

Helen is relatively local to me; it’s worth a visit to her pub for porky things. I gather her restaurant in Swindon was not so much a hit.
I agree about mangaliltza, worth looking for as @Chalshus has found. They contribute to some of Trealy Farms charcuterie too. Nowadays it’s hard to track down pure breeds as the Hungarians control release of the boar’s semen; but it has been cross bred with the Lincolnshire Curly White, which was on the verge of extinction and is similar in coat and taste. There is a lovely variation in colour too. Tony York is credited with introducing the breed into the U.K. in the early naughties, which was where I tasted the meat first, a magnificent roasted rolled loin.

2 Likes

Define ‘free range’. There are various schemes aimed at certifying all sorts of foods as free range, and the RSPCA Assured scheme to which Tobyjug’s preferred sausage conforms is one of the better ones used in the UK.
I’m not a big fan of supermarket chains, but in some cases, some of them do a reasonable job of promoting ethical food production, albeit mostly on premium priced products which are generally only bought by a minority of consumers who are prepared to pay.

Define free range? I don’t have the time or inclination here. Thanks for trying though.

My close friend is Matthew Glover (invented/started Veganuary late 2013) with his wife Jane and having a conversation with him has taught me enough thanks. I even had input in the name choice, but luckily he chose Veganuary instead, as it was better than my choice, even though people still can’t pronounce it correctly, like Martin lewis last night.

Petting, or checking for tenderness?

4 Likes

Petting.
This was in july. I guess the pigs will go to slaughter this spring. They will then be around 18 months old. They spend the first six weeks with both their parents.

Got a set of Matfer Bourgeat copper pots and a copper pan for £280 two years ago. Brand new from a lawyer on the classified site here in the north. Use them every day.

Edit: £250/ NOK3000.

2 Likes

If that isn’t the best bargain I’ve ever seen!

1 Like

1 Like

For anyone looking for a fast and easy way to start a barbecue (at home) look no further than an electric charcoal fire starter:
414wr1Q3KxL.AC_SY580
Wishing everyone a lovely start to the week :relaxed:

3 Likes

You must have a nearby power socket.

Ok, I should have moved the propane patio gas cannister first but this is potentially much more fun!

2 Likes

My favourite fire starter

14 Likes

CAREFUL; That’s a Domestic Fire Starter!
Not to be confused with a Fire Lighter…

This one is favoured by “Hip Hop” Artists around the world, as its “Wrapped”…
:rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

I really feel old as I have no idea what that means.

Don’t like ZIp and similar these days, the waxy wood shaving lighters don’t have a petrolchemical smell.

1 Like

The best fags:

6 Likes

Golden Virginia (the art of rolling) with a Dunhill lighter (my tobacco preparation dish is made from African Panga Panga wood):

Wishing everyone a lovely start to the week :relaxed:

2 Likes