The Best ๐Ÿ‘Œ

Please, please stop torturing me !!! :scream_cat: :scream_cat: :scream_cat: :scream_cat:

1 Like

3 Likes

Arcteryx was made in Canada. Now it is made in Asia.
I have a Leaf pant, it is made in Bangladesh.
My Gamma MX softshell jacket from 2004 was made in Canada. Is is still used.

For serious hiking in adverse and changeable weather a system of layering is widely advocated with a hard shell (cagoule) providing the fully waterproof outer layer. For more general use under less arduous conditions there are many warm and (almost fully) waterproof options from the likes of Arcteryx and Fjallraven. Last year I bought a Rab Infinity Microlight jacket, because itโ€™s warm and apparently highly waterproof (GoreTex) although Iโ€™ve not seriously tested that claim. Trekkit is a highly recommended U.K. supplier that Iโ€™ve used with no problems over the past 3-4 years. Whatโ€™s more some significant reductions are currently available in their sale. They also have some good equipment reviews on YouTube.
I should stress I have no links with any of these brands or companies! Rather I worked as a geologist for about 50 years so have always appreciated quality outdoor clothing.

2 Likes

Was it on the news earlier?

Just saw the results in the โ€˜paperโ€™.

1 Like

Last week in Frankfurt in a restaurant, with Thomas Henry Tonic Water and a dried orange slice. The best gin tonic Iโ€™ve had

3 Likes

Can you argue the gin itself is the best if it needed a specific tonic and additional flavouring on top?

Not that Iโ€™m adverse to a gin-tonic myself (although I mostly prefer a nice beer), but Iโ€™ve always wondered about this. Gin is a flavoured alcohol to begin with, so why then add a flavoured tonic and often additional flavourings? Shouldnโ€™t a good gin be good by itself or at least (as itโ€™s rarely drunk neat) be good with a neutral tonic?

1 Like

You canโ€™t go wrong with an Eames Chair. The originals now command huge prices, but modern versions are still made, I believe.

I have only ever seen them finished in black leather with dark brown formed plywood.

Were they ever produced in different colours or finishes? I think that red leather with black wood would be special.

lol.
5% in BC.

1 Like

This is an original Herman Miller chair. There are lots of knock offs made as well. The Herman Miller lounges are still made in the same way since the 50โ€™s when they first released the lounge. Herman Miller is still using the same molds they have always used, albeit a bit more automation in their manufacturing process these days. They have always had a number of upholstery choices but the earliest ones were Rosewood veneer . This one is walnut. They will pretty much last forever, with an occasional replacement of the rubber joints.

An interesting question. I have an Eames in the usual dark leather / plywood finish, but I popped into the Aram store the other day and saw one in a dark green fabric finish, a bit like corduroy. A limited edition apparently but I thought it looked pretty good in the flesh, you may think differently! About ยฃ9000 full price. Photo from their website.

6 Likes

Back to biscuits, thereโ€™s a fair assessment here of our regular day to day staples, set to music. Written by somebody I used to work with.

3 Likes

There is a gin thread - maybe worth copying this there as well?

When I first started to enjoy gin again, just 4 years ago, exploring some of the explosion of gin varieties likewise tonic flavours, I that although gins can be nice to drink neat, if I want a neat spirit my preference is for malt whisky. Gin to me makes a nice medium strength drink, typically +2 to 3 parts of mixer, and to me, other than cocktails which are a different subject, tonic fits best. I tried a variety of tonics, including flavoured ones, with some quite pleasant - but then realised the flavour of the gin was lost, with some tonics making virtually no difference what gin, so if I was going to drink a flavoured tonic I might as well just drink it alone or if wanting it alcoholic using the cheapest gin. I find simple Indian tonic water complements gin well and allows the flavour of gin to shine, and so far Fever Tree light is my preference. Mustnโ€™t be too sweet (e.g. London Essence), while some, like the British stalwart Schweppes, have a harshness or something I donโ€™t care for.

3 Likes

Iโ€™m going to stop you thereโ€ฆ a really good Dry Martini is the answer to your question.

3 Likes

@bobbyfingers on youtube. Trust me on this.

Assuming you donโ€™t mean this:

what is a really good dry Martini?

1 Like

Given the current weather

3 Likes

Martini normally made from gin and a white vermouth (some heathens prefer vodka rather than gin). A suitable dry white vermouth would be something like Noilly Prat. A dry martini is one in which it is mainly gin with only a little vermouth. A typical gin:vermouth ratio for a dry martini is 5:1

3 Likes

One recipe I read (was it Harry? Canโ€™t remember) recommended just showing the bottle of Vermouth to the glassโ€ฆ:laughing:

1 Like