The Best 👌

Lined ski jackets are great when it’s cold, but like any outdoor activity, I prefer the flexibility of separate layers. I’ve been skiing in just a short sleeved T-shits in late season and still been hot. An unlined waterproof shell keeps out snow and cold winds, and you can use suitable layers of insulation underneath.

2 Likes

I’m assuming that they only come in one colour and it’s not white :wink:

3 Likes

I would agree with Chris here. Years ago you might have bought a full on padded ski jacket. Nowadays when I go I use a simple good quality shell jacket and add layers underneath as needed. Much more flexible and comfortable.

2 Likes

If you’re looking for one shell for skiing for a week and then the rest of year multi-use, the Arc’tyrex Alpha SV is still excellent. As I say, for one jacket only, it’s hard to beat. Perhaps it’s a touch stiffish for perfect skiing and it doesn’t have snow skirts, but it’s great and perfect fit.

Arc’teryx do purpose designed ski shells with skirt called the Sabre SV and Sabre. The SV is a lighter weight Pro-shell than the alpha, so slightly better for just skiing. However, the SV (which is what you want) hasn’t been ‘revised’.

Yes they’re many makes, but they don’t match to the build & design quality of Arc’teryx.

P.S. Size and fit are personal preference, but sometimes people need advice and sometimes people get stuck in their ways. Very often jackets are chosen far too large. You don’t want a baggy, flapping fit allowing wind to get in. Even with that guy in the photo above, he’s got loads of room for layers and the long arms allow movement.

P.P.S. Not every brand in the world is easily available in the UK btw.

4 Likes

If boarding rather than skiing, with its more frequent sitting on backside, a jacket with snow skirt, even linkable to trousers, is good. I haven’t felt the need skiing.

As Chris said, doesn’t normally really need to be very waterproof, though moderately is useful in case you fall in wetter snow. When I started skiing I bought a very warm ski jacket - but after a couple of years swapped for layering instead ad much more flexible, not too hot when skiing energetically, but if a long wait for something I can add a layer. My outer choice for many years has been my old lightweight Goretex waterproof that has lost its ability to be water repellent so not very breathable when raining. It’s one designed for hillwalking etc, maybe a little longer than typical ski jackets and lacking special ski pass pocket, but I’ve never had a problem with it.

2 Likes

When biscuits are wanted Borders dark choc gingers are the best.

Although I have a great recipe for Biscotti. But, that’s another thread

5 Likes

Arcteryx is about the best. Made in Vancouver B.C Canada.

For those in the military or police, they have a Leaf line of products. I don’t believe this line is sold to the public.

1 Like

Closely followed by…

6 Likes

All Borders biscuits are excellent…

For a change at Christmas we got some of the usual culprits, Foxes etc. Very poor in comparison.

3 Likes

The M&S Outrageously Chocolatey Dark Chocolate Ginger biscuits are also excellent

3 Likes

Border Biccies take some munching. :stuck_out_tongue: :hugs:

4 Likes

Although still trying to finish off the Christmas supply…

5 Likes

What’s taking so long?

5 Likes

Tim Tams. :grin:

Think I may have posted this before but there soooo good they’re worth another mention.

1 Like

Its just proving Darwin’s theory of evolution……british tea biscuits to Tam tams😂

1 Like

Milk + biscuits = Farleyman.

1 Like

Melts in the mouth. Mmmm :hugs:

3 Likes

Others have given you some good advice especially re skiing needs. I agree Arcteryx is an excellent brand and I have owned several of their products for years. However they are expensive in the U.K. and I have always used other makes when it comes to waterproof shell jackets. I believe there are some good offerings from the likes of Rab and Mountain Equipment, both using GoreTex Pro, and no doubt others too.

1 Like

Good subject to explore. I have just been looking for a waterproof and warm rain jacket for Mrs Bruss. I have an aging HH jacket which does the job and was hoping to find something similar. It’s a nightmare trying to find something on line that does both, warmth, and water resistant to a high degree.
Grateful for any suggestions, bearing on mind it has to be woman’s fit.

The best place to sit…

9 Likes