The Blue Nile

I love The Blue Nile - have 3 albums on Vinyl - Roof tops (which is a prestine Linn Label) Hats & prob my fav album High

Just love Paul Buchanan - just wish he made more music

I purchased all 3 over time on Eli.com which is a very good source of vinyl - purchased Floyd, Tori amos, BIlly Joel Dire Staights excellent web site

1 Like

Have the four albums on original vinyl (2 of AWATR) and also the cd’s. The vinyl sounds so much better IMHO.
Bought Mid Air when it came out on cd, played about four times. I feel it’s too much the same and nowhere near as good as the BN releases.
Tried again this morning, had to turn it off after the fourth track.

1 Like

I had a look at eli.com. All rather strange kit, but no vinyl LPs.

@graham55 sorry this one eil - my typo

Nothing available on eil but you can request next available copy for both AWATRT and Hats.

ATB Graham

No, can’t find anything, so I’m giving up (again).

I’ve spent far too much effort looking for a very minor player, given that there’s so much better music out there…

I just bought Hats on Linn Records from a seller on Ebay. Looking forward to hearing it as I’ve only ever owned Rooftops).

Eil are really good (I have a search saved there for The Doors, for example, so I get notifications of incoming stock).

I do wonder if you’d be better off resuming record collecting once you’re home again. It can take a long time for rare-ish, and not so so rare, records to turn up (if ever), but not always…Hats being a case in point.

You may be right, but I’m being slowly driven mad (perhaps not so slowly) being shut up in a room by myself. Yes, I can walk along the corridors for a change of scene…

Anyway, never mind, I’ll escape this wretched place soon.

I’ve given up looking for Blue Nile LPs. They’re very minor league, compared to so much else out there. I’ve been concentrating my efforts on buying proper music by proper musicians like The Doors et al.

I wouldn’t describe Blue Nile as minor league.
There are loads of ‘major league’ bands I’d pass up anyday in preference to them.

And…‘proper’?
Wonder what you’d make of The Magic Band?! :rofl:

2 Likes

Their music isn’t available to buy on LP these days, so I’ll leave you to decide which league they belong in.

I could cite a number of excellent bands who are difficult to find in vinyl and haven’t had a repress in years. Conversely, a load of more well known bands who get reissued all the time, but are (in my view) nowhere near as interesting. I tend not to think in leagues, lol…

1 Like

What you say is correct as far as it goes.

BUT the only reason that The Blue Nile came to the attention of hifi/music lovers is that TBN were once, twenty years or more ago, effectively Linn’s ‘house band’. Whenever you went into a Linn (or at that time Naim) dealer, you would fid Blue Nile records being played. I imagine (but someone will correct me if I’m wrong) that they were the first LPs issued on Linn’s own record label.

Now it is as if TBN never existed, which I find odd, inexplicable even. You just can’t find new copies of their LPs to buy.

Really the wrong forum for this and it’s going on a bit.
They haven’t produced any vinyl since 1992 with the exception of the 40th anniversary compilation album given to visitors at the factory for this birthday.
As far as I know or remember. :roll_eyes:
Go to discogs and select the label and all will be revealed.

Crap.

TBN came to people’s attention became because the songs were great and folk connected with Paul’s singing and lyrics – and because (then) influential DJs like Andy Peebles played them on national radio. AND major performers like Peter Gabriel and Rickie Lee Jones bigged them up early on.

Whenever I went into Linn or Naim dealers at the time (1984–87), I never saw or heard a TBN disc anywhere, just the usual suspects like Dire Straits, Sting, various jazz, MOFI, Pink Floyd and classical stuff. I first heard the Blue Nile (it was “Stay”) on the radio, on Andy Peebles’ Radio 1 show during the 1983/4 Christmas holidays. Peebles said it was on A&M - which is true, as he had an early US promo copy, which was indeed on A&M.

I bought the “Stay” twelve in the Virgin Megastore on Oxford Street a few days later. I then bought “Tinseltown” on 12-inch when it came out in the Spring, and the LP, again in the Megastore, in May '84. At the time I thought Linn were another indie label, distributed by a major (Virgin).

Also, when Hats came out, I interviewed Paul and Robert (in a flat above the old Studio 99 shop in Swiss Cottage, weirdly enough) – Rob told me that the Linn connection came about because engineer Calum Malcolm, whose studio TBN used, happened to be a mate of Ivor’s. In late 1982, while in Calum’s studio listening to some recent recordings – he was thinking of starting up a label and was looking for Scottish acts to put on it – Ivor heard a Blue Nile demo Calum had just recorded. Ivor liked it and said he’d like to sign them. TBN signed a contract nine or 10 months later, and the two singles and then the album came out.

At the time of that interview in 1989, five years later, neither Paul nor Rob claimed to have even heard an LP12 turntable! They just liked the fact that Linn were a Glasgow company, and that they gave them complete creative freedom.

18 Likes

Cost of supply vs demand I guess. Small market - though I note the reissues of at least the first two albums not that long ago (and asking high prices on Ebay).

Sort of tied in.
I remember an interview transcript I read about Calum Malcolm
I quote.
What is your most memorable Linn moment?

Around 1976, I was having trouble finding decent monitor speakers for my studio. I had recently met Ivor T [Tiefenbrun, Linn founder], who insisted that his new ‘Isobarik speakers’ would be the thing. So he lent me a pair. After a few hours (minutes?), they sort of ‘popped’, given the rigors of the recording studio (I was recording the Bay City Rollers at the time). So I told Ivor I thought they were crap. He may have forgiven me by now. Or he may not have…

Totally agree Kev. The Blue Nile (were?) are a great band, four superb albums.
To state that they’re just “minor league” is quite frankly ridiculous.
Sour grapes me thinks :joy:

2 Likes

Kev you are that bloke from the “who’s that next to Steve” joke about being stood next to the Pope at the Vatican.

Fantastic inside knowledge and my comment isn’t snide, it’s genuine appreciation for your post.

My first introduction to The Blue Nile was via a friend, who is a professional musician and recording artist (Romeo’s Daughter were one of his bands), who said I might like them.

How right he was.

2 Likes

A big thumbs-up to @thekevster’s post. To me, TBN were local boys who captured lightning in a bottle at least twice. I absolutely adored them. Their concert at the new Royal Concert Hall in 1990 had me greeting like a wean (crying like a small child, for those who don’t speak Glesca). I even went to see/hear a modern ballet in Glasgow because TBN had been commissioned to compose the music for it. I say “even” in the previous sentence because I knew/know nothing about ballet, modern or otherwise. But it was magical. I don’t think the music was ever released, but would be delighted to be proved wrong.

All my music-loving pals at the time loved them, in Glasgow, in many other parts of the UK and Ireland – and far beyond. No, they weren’t huge sellers. But they were never anyone’s “house band”, nor were they minor league or obscure.

Incidentally, I interviewed Ivor for the Glasgow Evening Times in 1988 (I think), and asked him about TBN. He was massively proud of the first album, and promised that the long-awaited second album would be something special. It was more than that; Hats, was released to a slew of five-star reviews. I’ve heard no more than a few perfect albums over the decades, but Hats is one of them.

14 Likes

The Blue Nile Keyboard player, P J Moore has a new album out on 22 Sept. Recorded with two other people. Called - When a Good Day Comes, the first track is available on streaming platforms now.

5 Likes