The Blue Nile

For those interested in how the BN sounded live back in the day, here’s a BBC Live In Concert recording from 1990:

6 Likes

@Richard.Dane – have you heard the 1984 12" remix of “Stay”? It’s absolutely immense – huge chasms of sound and all that.

Hopefully this YouTube link will give you a very rough idea of how it sounds – although on vinyl it’s just jaw-dropping:

4 Likes

Yes Kev, I have it somewhere. Superb.

2 Likes

Thanks for putting these on here @TheKevster - I’ve just watched/listened to them - all gloriously brilliant!! It’s my biggest regret that I never got to see The Blue Nile live. Some lovely occasional banter with Paul between songs. He comes across as a humble, self-effacing and funny guy. Guy Harvey dedicated one of his programmes to TBN not so long ago which was a great listen.

I’m reassured to hear @Richard.Dane saying the reissues aren’t quite as good as the original pressings.

2 Likes

Exceptionally good Album….

7 Likes

Oh well, if any Linn/Naim dealers are reading this and know where a cache of Blue Nile LPs are hidden, would they post here, please?

Have you actually heard Walk Across The Rooftops…?

Your loss, I’m afraid.

2 Likes

I’ve just done a search on Ebay…quite a few Blue Nile on there. I may finally get Hats and the Stay remix…

HATS is available on the uk bay for £65.00…

People seem to see things on eBay which I can’t see.

I’m looking for new Blue Nile LPs, which I can’t currently find on eBay or elsewhere.

100%. Buckley is like nails on a chalkboard.

1 Like

There are two that I saw. Both the recent 1000 copy ones. £119 each, sealed IIRC.
I’ll stick to buying Hats on original Linn Records - Walk is tremendous on first pressing, and cheaper.

My reaction to Thom Yorke’s whining too!

I have a copy of AWATR on vinyl, bought shortly after it was originally released.
I knew nothing about the band at the time, but was intrigued that Linn seemed to have a label…
I think I’ve only played it once or twice, then sort of forgot about it - I was much into other things at the time - so thanks, one and all, for this prompt to give it a spin… I do, though, remember it seeming to be a good recording and pressing, and the track ‘Tinsel Town in the Rain’, in particular, stayed in my brain, so they must have had something as I don’t recall it getting a great deal of radio exposure?

Andy Peebles used to play them death on Radio 1 back in the day…

What I can’t understand is what’s happened to my copy of AWATR?!?!

Inspired by the thread I went to pop out my Blue Nile albums only to find to the left of Hats are plenty of Blue Aeroplanes and to the right there’s The Bluetones but no bloody Rooftops. Someone’s had my record!

Every day is a “schoolday”! :slight_smile: :+1:

1 Like

You’ll find it somewhere: I bought Simply Red’s “Picture Book” on CD because I could not find the LP. Subsequently, I looked properly and found it…

Try under T I’ve done that before by accident with a “The” album. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

For those that might be interested the Paul Buchanan solo album (Mid Air) has just had a 10th anniversary rerelease on vinyl.

1 Like