The Grand Cafe

I’ve a bit of a headache too but mines a little to much beer with mates.

1 Like

One tiny glass of beer for me yesterday - it can’t be the reason for me :frowning:

What a friend of mine often said when we arrived in the hotel lobby (working on the same project abroad) after drinking too much the evening before: what kills you in the evening cures you in the morning.

1 Like

Using alcohol to cure a hangover is a rapid path to alcoholism!

I find generally that drinking copious amounts of water before going to bed (at leat a pint for every pint of beer or equivalent alcohol) Prevents any adverse effect the next morning, unless a particularly indulgent evening in which case sometimes a ‘thick head’ results, best treated with paracetamol if if inhibits doing anything. Oh, and another thought: having known two people who died inhaling their own vomit after drinking, I adopted the habit of lying in the First Aid so-called ‘recovery position’ when going to bed if I’ve drunk a lot.

Very occasionally I get a headache for no apparent reason: when that happens I cure with a couple of paracetamol. I learnt decades ago they rarely go by themselves before going to bed if not treated and can get worse, whereas a quick nip in the bud and that’sthe end of it. A month or so ago I had a headache that kept recurring over 3 or 4 days with no evident cause, there when I woke in the morning, and not quite going completely with paracetamol. Its longevity was starting to get concerning, however then it went, and not back again

Meanwile you could always try some headbanging music to see if that helps…:grinning:

1 Like

Chrissie Hynde from The Pretenders when discussing indulgence v abstinence said “You can either feel good in the morning or good in the evening but you can’t have both”

I used to work around the corner in Charterhouse Square. A lot of drinking went on in pubs around Smithfield Market.

1 Like

Yes indeed - my office is nearby, direction St Pauls. Loads of very noisy and overcrowded pubs around Smithfield Market.

Before covid kicked in, I used to go to a concert once per week, and the other night try to get a good fish and chips. I had a regarding fish and chips, I visited most of the recommended places in London.

Still working for the same company, may the times return to be around in London!

1 Like

Oddly I was born and brought up in Britain, and consider myself very British: but I don’t like “full English Breakfast” - as far as I am aware the “full” version only ever exists in hotels and cafes - people at home only eating a few elements of it if they have a cooked breakfast. And I am not keen on fish ‘n’ chips!

How is that even possible? :open_mouth: :wink:

4 Likes

I met an old friend in a cafe today.

While there, two coppers come in, either side of a young couple of, shall we say, unusual looking types.

The two policemen tell these other two to sit down while they go up to the manageress, with everyone watching, expecting some kind of a line-up at any point. Then the coppers hand something over to her, have a word with these two and leave.

A few minutes go by and my mate can’t resist and starts up a conversation with the guy. Turns out they’re recently homeless and the girl particularly has had a hard time last night.

While chatting, two full Englishes and teas show up, that had been bought for them by the two police officers, while they go and try and contact appropriate people to help sort them out. Not the first time either apparently.

A short while later one of the coppers comes back in, has a word with the chap. Who then speaks to the girl, who in turn gets very emotional indeed.

They all leave, meet up with the other copper outside, who is talking to them when what looks like an Uber shows up and takes the homeless couple off.

Coppers hang around outside for a bit, then get back into car and take off with blue lights flashing.

Really odd. It’s like Eastenders production team just showed up for the day!

6 Likes

I love fish, just not yhe heavily battered and usually very greasy stuff they sell in F&C shops. By the time I was a teenager and able to exercise choice, if a takeaway was on the cards (and being before the huge choice of today) I used to opt for chicken & chips - and then I discovered scampi & chips (and tgat was when scampi was proper scampi, before minced scampi meat, or worse).

Oh apart from a brief flirtation with ‘I can get more vinegar on my chips than you’ as a young teenager, neither vinegar nor salt on chips!

Nice thing to observe - thanks for sharing

Ah, then tha’s clearly not ever been to a Yorkshire chippy, tha knows … oh, and the beer’s the best an’ all. :wink: :wink:

4 Likes

And it’s difficult to find a bad fish and chip shop on the north east coast

Yorkshire chippys sell beer? I didn’t know that. Wouldn’t happen in Surrey…
Best

David

1 Like

Good morning all, I’ve discovered the best way to avoid a hangover is avoid alcohol all together. As for the hair of the dog thingy I’ve never been a fan. Best thing is a bacon and egg roll, sunshine and as someone mentioned water ( lots of it).

2 Likes

Chish ‘n fips an’ no beer?

Yer ‘avin a larf, surely?

2 Likes

Mebbe not

Tried in Newcastle, Washington, Peterlee, Middlesborough… (alright not all quite on coast.) Also North West, South East, Home Counties & South Wales.

I have never understood “Hair of the dog” as a saying.
Yes I fully know the practicality, but the expression has always alluded me.
At what point did some sage decide that being fragile had some similarity to something so abstract and doggy ?
Was it from having dog hairs shed everywhere ? Maybe common for most dog owners and not something that can be cleaned up quick ?

Something that has a distinct smell when wet ? Goes fluffy after a good soak ???

It’s beats me, I’ve never thought of it other than just a saying. One I might add has been around as long as I can remember. There’s a lot of words and phrases that don’t really make much sense if you start to look at them too deeply.