The Grand Cafe

I have 4 music channels with my cable tv and never watch any of them, like most here I have so much music that I don’t feel the need to. It’s doesn’t help that most are low fi as well. Isn’t MTV full of useless reality tv these days?

2 Likes

I really don’t see the point in TV music channels such as they are. I do however enjoy some of the programs from Sky Arts, these are more entertainment and/or information. e.g. a Pink Floyd night, live concerts I had not seen before & documentaries, stage shows such as Phantom of the Opera, the original cast video of Cats, OK it needs selected viewing, but so far it’s good for my choice.

1 Like

Same here, I’ve an “arts” channel but much prefer docos about musos or their gigs than radio with pictures.

BBC4 also shows some good music programming but there is so much in the archives that never seems to surface.

2 Likes

True there’s out there that never seems to see the light of day, I did enjoy the 2 Bowie docos (5 years and the last 5 years).

3 Likes

I always check out what’s on BBC 4 on Friday night, sometimes we get lucky, but a rap crap night does do it for us old crusty’s & I wonder how many rap fans would actually think about tuning into Beeb 4.

1 Like

Not only old crusties, Mike. It seems that teachers and youthworkers use the assignment to create a rap too. A youthworker in my local church thought the same and she tried to engage kids to create a rap. The problem is … most kids have pretty decent parents and the kids are not familiar with raps for obvious reasons.

Long story short, the youthworkers hopes were for a few kids with a migration background. The problem is that the most rebellious guy of the group is playing the …. cello!

I think I need to keep a list of pre-orders I’ve placed. Having listened to the Lou Reed New York set for a couple of weeks, I got this email this evening. I seem to have ordered the set and cassette from one site, forgotten that and placed another pre-order with Amazon. Worryingly I did much the same with the new Will Hoge album a few months ago.
“ Your order

ITEM QTY
New York (Remastered) 3CD/DVD/2LP + Cassette 1
New York (Remastered) 3CD/DVD/2LP

New York (Remastered) 3CD/DVD/2LP
1 x New York (Remastered) 3CD/DVD/2LP
New York (Remastered) Cassette

New York (Remastered) Cassette
1 x New York (Remastered) Cassette”

1 Like

Too many Brain Teasers recently ???

1 Like

Maybe I have used up my limited processing power over there Don. :grinning::grinning:

1 Like

Possibly the number of replicated orders is a function of age. The next Brain Teaser is to tease out the formula of that function. (Pun intended!)

1 Like

Or lack thereof. :grinning:

Mrs Pete’s 60th birthday tomorrow, she seemed a little upset when I suggested that a new set of speakers were on my options list for her special day. Women I just can’t work them out.

11 Likes

Happy Birthday to Mrs Pete for Tomorrow.

Gave up trying to work out My Missus years ago lol !!!

2 Likes

You obviously need to find sexier speakers @Pete_the_painter :+1::confetti_ball:

1 Like

Something with ‘diamond’ tweeters?

1 Like

Now there’s an idea. :+1:

1 Like

Drove down to Sydney last week to audition the Focal Chora 826’s but the shop decided not to open on Monday any more. Doh, probably should have rang first. They’re getting rave reviews and at $3ks sound like a bargain. Biggest problem is they’re not my normal dealer and not a Naim dealer, probably won’t be able to hear at home either.

1 Like

In UK it is normal to make an appointment ic you want to audition anything!

By agreement with dealer take your speakers, also if dealer doesn’t stock take your amp, maybe even ditto digital source though that less important, and hear in dealer’s room first. That gives you a baseline of how it sounds in dealer’s room - then hear the other speakers driven by your amp, and you can get a pretty good idea of what the difference will be in your own home.

I did that when last bought speakers - a round trip over a couple of days setting up at two dealers and in someone’s home. All were OK with it, the dealers even carrying the speakers in from the car and in one case up stairs to the listening room …at 60kg apiece!

1 Like

I did take (and will when I go back) a USB with my music on it.