The classical music thread

This recording has been out for a while by now, and I enjoy returning to it. There is something very comforting about the Bagatelles.

5 Likes

Agreed. Paul Lewis is extraordinary with Beethoven.

1 Like

And his Schubert isn’t bad either:

3 Likes

The Kempe box set is almost difinitive. I have always liked the Chandos/Jarvi as an alternative. Might not have the musical authority but the recording quality is first rate.

After watching Van Cliburn, I thought I give Marin Alsop a spin — a very thoughtful and insightful conductor.

The Berliner Waldbuhne in a few mins …

2 Likes

We watched it too and loved it — what a great concert!!

Playing No.4 on my ND555 from a CD rip via Core. The best I’ve heard my digital front end sound in over a year. Vinyl has been trouncing it since I got an ARO on my LP12, but this sounds just wonderful :blush:

6 Likes

@KJC, if you like Isabelle Faust’s work (not just the sound engineer :wink:), you might enjoy this recording too:

4 Likes

It’s interesting to hear what Michael Korstick had to say when Sony BMG published without authorisation a bagatelle (a late Beethoven piece) on a CD entitled kuschel musik :rofl:

We saw him at the little missenden music festival in the old church perform diabelli variations and the D935 impromptus.
Also at St. George’s old masonic hall in park street Bristol, well known for superb acoustics, performing the last 3 piano sonatas of Franz Schubert. Quite enjoyable performances

1 Like

Also fortunate by chance to see them perform some Beethoven violin sonatas in an old church at a music festival in Alsace. Église Saint-Pierre-sur-l’Hâte, which is on the way when we go back to France.

A good way to find these concerts is to look at the announcements by Harmonia Mundi and ECM new series record labels. Also enjoyable settings to hear chamber music

1 Like

These guys from Freiburg have been producing fabulous recordings in recent years, including Beethoven’s Triple Concerto. Tonight’s music diet — highly recommended. It would have been even better if I hadn’t already consumed all the wine we had from Glottertal just outside Freiburg. :roll_eyes:

6 Likes

Making the journey on the Eurostar to Amsterdam bearable — two fantastic soloists:

3 Likes

Beethoven Vasks - Fanny Clamagirand

Great recording, energy and emotion in one.

4 Likes

Great tip for the above release. It’s excellent. Thanks

1 Like

Since @davidhendon mentioned Richard Strauss’s Four Last Songs, specifically Im Abendrot, on the ‘Hauntingly Beautiful’ thread, I’ve been listening to several different versions (at least ten) of this work. All four songs are hauntingly beautiful, for sure, but the focus of my listening has been Beim Schlafengehen (Going to Sleep). Although I have long admired Jessye Norman’s version, my current favourite as a result of this extended listening session, is this one, by Soile Isokoski.

8 Likes

I had a quick look and I have only five versions on my Core, so I listened to Bein Schlafengehen on each of them. The Soile Isokoski you mention which I agree is very good, Elizabeth Schwarzkopf which is rooted in my own musical origins so is special to me, Jessie Norman, Lisa della Casa and Gundula Janowitz.

It’s very hard to pick a favourite as each one I listened to drew me into the song. As I’m only listening with one ear at the moment (which is another story) it’s hard for me to judge the sound quality, but the Stokowski sounds maybe the best? But I would take any of them for the singing.

4 Likes

Richard Strauss’s Four Last Songs are sublime. If you don’t already know this, I would also warmly recommend Mahler’s Rückert Lieder. There are many superb versions including this version which I think is available with a number of different couplings.
eyJidWNrZXQiOiJwcmVzdG8tY292ZXItaW1hZ2VzIiwia2V5IjoiNzkyNTU3NC4xLmpwZyIsImVkaXRzIjp7InJlc2l6ZSI6eyJ3aWR0aCI6MzAwfSwianBlZyI6eyJxdWFsaXR5Ijo2NX0sInRvRm9ybWF0IjoianBlZyJ9LCJ0aW1lc3RhbXAiOjE0NjEwODUwNDd9

10 Likes

I do have that same recording, although it’s a while since I listened to it.

Another wonderful Mahler cycle is Das Lied von der Erde and this recording of Christa Ludwig singing it is another LP from the beginnings of my personal musical journey.

And I used to listen to this LP a lot, although I find Des Knaben Wunderhorn a bit bombastic for my taste now. Elizabeth Schwarzkopf and Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau sing wonderfully though.

2 Likes