The classical music thread

OK…I haven’t played it yet. I added it to my Roon list. Qobuz has quite a large library of Josquin.

I’m not using my system much at the moment, so might be a little while before it gets a play. With the warm weather upon us I spend more time riding my bicycle and not so much time indoors playing the hifi.

I bought this recording of Klára Würtz playing Bach’s Goldberg Variations from Qobuz because they were the first place that I found was selling a hi res download. It’s very enjoyable.

2 Likes

And this lovely album of Stephen Hough playing Schubert sonatas is another that I recommend. I bought this download from Presto classical.

3 Likes

This recording of Mitsuko Uchida playing Beethoven’s Diabelli Variations is my third recommendation for today. It’s stunning. I bought this download from Presto.

3 Likes

One more:

This download is interesting because the young pianist Edna Stern recorded this CD of Schubert’s music “live” in a studio, which she explains means that she did each piece in a single take. The recording was entirely analog in one of the few recording suites in UK to still use magnetic tape. She has explained that she wanted to capture the way it worked before the habit of digital splicing meant that each piece could have many many takes buried in it.

It sounds good, but somehow just not quite as convincing as the best pianists. A friend of mine commented that she played like a competent piano tuner does, but I don’t know if that’s fair or not.

I bought this hi res download on Presto as usual.

Interesting. On another forum, Uchida’s performance was described as funereal and as a series of etudes, not an integrated work. I will have to check it out.

Gramophone Magazine has it as the Editor’s overall Disc of the Month for May 2022

2 Likes

Beautiful music and interpretation.

3 Likes

@Naim_The_Dragon thank you for pointing out that Josquin recording. I finally got around to playing it on Qobuz (out on the deck with the Mu-so Qb2). It’s a wonderful album, but I wasn’t surprised. I have heard Stile Antico on other recordings and they are first rate,

I would say my one critique is I think their performance of “El Grillo” is a bit too serious. The story goes that Josquin wrote that to mock a womanizing priest. I have an older recording on LP that injects a bit of humor and fun into the performance and I can’t seem to un-bond with it. It also has a magnificant performance of the chanson and viol consort versions of “Mille Regretz” :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Has anyone here started to listen to the new Strauss set (7 CDs - if you buy it on physical media) from Andris Nelsons, the Gewandhausorchester Leipzig, and the Boston Symphony?

I just saw it on Qobuz and have started out with Eine Alpensinfonie. So far, so good. A very even, lush sound, well recorded. Just curious whether anyone here has listened to some of the other works in the set or has an opinion.

4 Likes

Have to start listening, saw however a good music review on the collection…., so should be interesting…

I’ve tried a few familiar pieces. Started with Till Eulenspiegel, a favourite from schooldays. A brilliant performance, I thought. Then Don Quixote, Strauss’ greatest tone poem (?), and found this less compelling. Slow tempos and indulgent playing took away the element of parody, Strauss surely intended. But I suspect this was mainly due to Yo Yo Ma, who was also recorded too close for my taste — it’s not a concerto. Then, on to Don Juan, which can be tricky to bring off, but really enjoyed Nelsons’ performance. I’ll give Metamorphosen a try next, but so far thumbs up.

Interesting to compare Leipzig and Boston orchestras with the same conductor. Boston had a weightier sound but Leipzig more athletic. Both recorded very well.

Roger

Great Brahms by Blomstedt. The 4th symphony is very very good. Sometimes it’s light-weighted and sometimes very stormy, unique interpretation. The sublime Pentatone recording is also impressive. Recommended.

7 Likes

Oh, I love those two. Shall give this one a digital spin. :smile:

I am a great fan of Symphonic Dances, and I often enjoy this recording.

And this more recent one too:

Any recommendations for other recordings?

5 Likes

Reading this post has touched a nerve in me and I have to say a good one.
The Symphonic Dances are one of my musical favourites as well as a Rachmaninoff one as well. All three are very rythmic and this suites Naim equipment.
When it comes to other versions I have always really liked Ashkenazy with the Concertgebouw. Its now a bit long in the tooth and being early digital sounds it to my ears
You can hear him vocally urging the orchestra on in the last movement. For me his set musically plus the three symphonies still does the job.
In an aside comment to the above one contributor this week to BBC radio 3 “essential classic” commented on the 18th variation in Rapsody on a theme by Pagannini as “its when the sun comes out”. This work is a favourite of the pianist Stephen Hough who is about to become Sir Stephen. Watch him on U-tube at the Proms play this.

3 Likes

I would recommend Joby Talbot

1 Like

This is probably my favourite piece at the moment

1 Like

I bought this from the big river as soon as an excerpt from the set was played on BBC Radio 3s Esssential Classics.
Found the performances really excellent with the Boston ones having the edge in the nicest possible way.
Not so sure about the recording quality though. It just lacks detail to me and is no match for the Jarvi/Chandos set recorded in the 1980s.
Nelsons’s bass drum in Till on my B & W 802D3s is positivly overwhelming. Very hi-fi. Hmmm.

Give Vladimir Ashkenazy with the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra a listen….

3 Likes