The Doors

I too loved the Doors after first hearing them in 67 /68. One of my biggest regrets was not making it to the Isle Of Wight to see Hendrix and the Doors. I have been to hundreds and hundreds of Gig’s over the years but these two I never did see live. Mr Mojo Risin’ was the band and yes when he passed it was over for them as a band. I remember exactly where I was and what I was doing when I heard Jim Morrison had died. Very sad after the great LA Woman.I have all the originals in Mono ( where released ) and Stereo, and a complete set of albums on Mobile Fidelity. A great front man and a terrific band.

4 Likes

The graveyard is fascinating - and beautiful. I went about 10 years ago - from what I recall it is central and fairly accessible. Go for it.

1 Like

I’ve never been sure about visiting the grave, for a number of reasons.

I don’t like graveyards generally.

Jim Morrison’s grave is covered in graffiti, with lots of spliffs, empty alcohol bottles and even condoms littering the plot.

There was a sculpted head and shoulders bust of Jim Morrison which has been stolen.

I think that it’s all very sad, and I don’t want to see it in its current state.

Anyway, the intention of the thread was to show respect for what JM and his bandmates achieved while he was alive, and I’d rather that discussion could head back in that direction.

@graham55
I should have given it the full title, A Guide To The Labyrinth, sorry Graham.
It’s the boxed limited edition of Jim’s collected writings published a little while ago (see pics). The Genesis edition is larger in size, signed by Robbie and John, and members of Jim’s family. Includes a 7" record of him reading poems. It also contains really good facsimiles of a couple of his personal notebooks. I only recieved my copy only a few days ago, and work has precluded me from delving into it much.

Quite a difference in size:

The Genesis book is limited to 2000 copies and costs about £300. They may well still have copies, not sure as I preordered many months ago. The ‘ordinary’ edition published by Harper Design is easily available.

This is how Jim’s grave looked when I visited (not my photo, it’s from Prochnicky’s book). I’m a bit embarrassed to admit the POET scrawl is mine, but it didn’t last long.

5 Likes

Morrison Hotel did - the building’s still there.

No idea on the bar on the back cover and inner sleeve (apart from that the local drinkers, regular guys, thought it odd - shall we say - to have these hippies posing in there! Jim would’ve loved it.)

Hello and thank you, StevieB.

That looks absolutely fascinating. Could you say where the books are on sale, please?

(I’ve looked on the US Amazon site, but can’t see it, frustratingly.)

@graham55

The Harper one is available on Amazon (UK?) - at least, last time I looked. Pretty sure it’ll be easily found elsewhere.

The Genesis edition - Google Genesis Publications Guide To The Labyrinth. I just checked, stiil has a ‘buy’ link (£395). A nice webpage on the book too. Some will say that’s a mad price to pay - but not me. It’s a great edition. Check Ebay too - there is one for sale at £995 (!!!) which is plain daft if Genesis still has copies.

Sorry, to be dense. I’ve just looked on Amazon UK site, and can’t find it.

Are you able to give any more guidance?

Many thanks indeed.

Just search on Amazon UK for ‘Jim Morrison book’.
It’s at the top of the listings. Kindle/hardcover etc.

:+1:

I see I have 7 of their LPs, so yes, very much a favourite in my younger days. Must get it out more.

2 Likes

Actually, I have a book somewhere too, now that I think about it :sunglasses:

But which book?
Patricia Keneally’s one (the witchy wedding one) is…um…interesting :woozy_face:
No One Here Gets Out Alive (the most common one) is hellbent on myth-making. As is Ray’s book.
John’s is pretty good.

It’s a minefield I tell ya!

1 Like

This is getting silly!

I have looked three times at the Amazon UK website, and have found no trace of the book. And I can’t find it on the US Amazon site.

I also tried the publisher’s website, and went through all the motions to buy the book. But the website wouldn’t let me buy the book. I’ve emailed the publisher, asking them to call me. So I can do no more now.

Must go and find a carpet to chew to relieve the frustration!

If it’s the Genesis you’re looking for, then no, it’s not on Amazon. The Harper edition is. I looked at it again last night.

It may well be that the Genesis is sold out (preorders were taken last year. I had forgotten how long ago it was when I put my order in) as it’s a ltd ed.

I think links are permitted in this section of the forum.
@Richard.Dane could you confirm?

I’ll get my coat, but leaves me empty. Nothing interesting just drug fueled monotony. Each to their own.

I’m OK with reasonable links here in the music room.

2 Likes

Thanks Richard.
Not a link but a screen grab, taken just now:

Quite a few years back I was driving my daughter home from a ballet lesson and Light My Fire was playing and she said “Dad you and Mum had such a brilliant soundtrack to your youth”.

Soul Kitchen and the Crystal Ship are on my “go to” tracks.

Regards,

Lindsay

6 Likes

The lyrics to The Crystal Ship are pure poetry.

I remember years ago writing them out in my best script and giving them to a girl that I fancied like hell. I don’t think that I ever told her that they were not my own words.

2 Likes