The Doors

I’ve had a 'phone call from the publishers of the ‘Labyrinth’ book just now, and have been able to buy a copy of the book. Thanks so much for the tip.

I look forward to reading it very soon.

1 Like

Good news! It is a lovely edition - the notebooks especially. It’s nice also to have it signed, adds to my Doors signature collection.

Enjoy! I’d be interested to read what number you receive - mine is 407, despite ordering from the get-go.

PS Be prepared for a wait while they ‘build’ it, assuming yours isn’t a cancellation or similar…mine was supposed to come in March/April. Arrived early August. They do keep in touch by email though, which is good.

I found The Doors later in life and now have their records and some live recordings. If I had to choose one band to listen to for the rest of my life Doors would be one of the strongest candidates! :blush:

1 Like

Thank you, I’ll post here when it’s delivered.

I’m not sure that I understand who could have ‘signed’ your copy.

Well, you’ve come late to the party, but welcome aboard!

I got my first Doors LP, ‘Strange Days’, very shortly after it was released in 1967, from Rose Street Records, just behind Princes Street in Edinburgh. It was a US pressing, which I’d never seen before at the time.

I quickly acquired the first LP (‘The Doors’), and I’ve been under their spell ever since.
I still remember the shock that I felt when I heard of Jim Morrison’s death in a bath in Paris, in much the same way as I’d been shocked by JFK’s death a few years earlier.

Strangely enough, I’ve just bought brand new copies of all six of their studio LPs from the USA in the last few weeks. I wish that it were still possible to buy new copies of their ‘Absolutely Live’ LP, but that’s been out of print for years. Come on, Elektra, get the finger out.

2 Likes

Robbie Kreiger and John Densmore, and Jim’s brother Andy and sister Anne.

Same with your copy.

@graham55

Absolutely Live was reissued on blue vinyl a couple of years ago. Can’t remember offhand how many copies were pressed. Sounds great.

My first press unfortunately succumbed to a vinyl rash on one side so I was very pleased to get the reissue.

Have you heard the AP releases of the studio albums @45rpm? Or the much rarer DCC issues, mastered by Steve Hoffman? Both excellent. As indeed are the 50th Anniversary sets, and the Soft Parade stripped release without the strings and horns.

3 Likes

Thank you, I had no idea that it would be autographed.

I’ll post again when I get it - next week, I hope.

You should take a look at the Genesis website page about Labyrinth - it’s a good read and they just added a video about how the edition was put together.

If your copy is coming next week, they must have either had a cancellation or they’ve (finally) bound the whole run!

Another goodie is the coffee table book by Ben Fong Torres. (Hyperion Books 2006)…but good luck finding a signed copy now.

Very nice book though.

3 Likes

No, there’s a lot that I need to look for. I’m away from home at the moment, and have been for months. My Mac needs to be plugged in at home to back itself up properly, which might inspire it to let me do net searches more easily.

Can you give me any indication where I might find a new, blue LP set of ‘Absolutely Live’? (I wish I’d known earlier.)

I haven’t had great experiences with 45RPM album releases (and I don’t have the Linn LP12 45 RPM adapter), so that’s a closed book to me these days.

But thank you for the info.

I found my AL blue on Ebay.
Here’s the hype sticker if that helps:

12000 copies, so not impossibly rare.

There’s a few blue vinyl copies on Ebay right now. Cheapest 59.99. Or the 2010 Rhino reissue ‘from the original analog tapes’ for 99.99.

I did not know about the Soft Parade stripped version. I put it on order now. Hopefully it will show up in a not to distant future. Thanks for the heads up!

Regards

1 Like

Thanks :blush: I did hear The Doors when younger but didn’t get it. Now I find most of their music possesing some sort of magic which is hard to pin down or explain. As you mentioned it, I had to put on the Absolutley Live album. I would like to have the American Nights - In Concert as well!

Regards

1 Like

I take my dog for a walk past Sniffen Court several times a day. I posted photos of it on several fora - can’t remember if I posted one here.

1 Like

@jegreenwood

I remember our conversation about Sniffen Ct on Hoffman, and the photo you posted of the street view, which I’d never seen. High five!

1 Like

I don’t remember seeing one, which I think I would, if you had posted.

The Doors aren’t my favourite band (despite having all the studio albums and Absolutely Live) but I really like them for their great musicianship. Why is John Densmore never mentioned in those great drummer lists?

John isn’t a showman , didn’t solo and played a small kit. His drumming served the music always.

A brilliant drummer: utterly individual and recognisable style. One of the greats indeed.

2 Likes

A block from my apartment.

10 Likes