The Doors

Beautiful. One day I’ll get there.

I recognise the Pegasus (or whatever the sculpture represents) from the album photo, but otherwise I would never imagine that this is a street in New York. It looks lovely.

York, maybe, in England.

But, anyway, thanks for showing the photo. I imagine that the houses and apartments in Sniffen Court are all owned by wealthy bankers, lawyers and accountants.

I’m still fighting a losing battle from my hospital bed to get my hands on a copy of the blue vinyl edition of ‘Absolutely Live’. We shall see what happens.

Thanks again for the photo.

2 Likes

It’s not really a street, and it is very English. More like a mews. It’s gated - I shot between bars. I’ve only been inside once. In Googling it just now, I discovered Cole Porter used to live there. Graham Norton has an apartment. Reportedly, Lenny Kravitz and Claudia Schiffer have lived there.

I’ve lived nearby for many years and have never run across any of them.

2 Likes

A little late to this thread. I have a lot of love for the Doors collectively and individually. They are imo one of the seminal bands of the 60s that helped shape rock music.

ATB Graham.

1 Like

Me too, and totally agree

1 Like

You are spot on about John Densmore. The perfect drummer for the band, like Ringo and Charlie Watts for their respective groups.

4 Likes

I got some help from two of the staff in the care home where I’m currently residing. and I managed to buy a new, sealed blue vinyl copy of ‘Absolutely Live’ at a very reasonable price. But the on screen instructions weren’t clear, so we went through the process again.

The inevitable result is that I now have two copies in the post. What a twit!

Still, yesterday my only copy of ‘Absolutely Live’ was a very old one bought some 50 years ago. Next week I shall have four very lovely new blue LPs (it’s a double LP).

I read an article years ago which said that Jim Morrison was the best American crooner since Frank Sinatra. That thought had never occurred to me, but it’s a good comparison.

Incidentally, I didn’t know that Claudia Schiffer had a place in Sniffen Court (see above). If I’d known that, I’d have tried a lot harder to find the place.

Morrison Hotel - 50th Anniversary Deluxe

Just listening to Take 12 of Queen of the Highway - they could pretty much play in any style as demonstrated on the half a dozen versions we get to hear of Queen of the Highway.

Plus the priceless comment from Jim at the end of Peace Frog (Take 12) “Ray that …. footpedal”.

Also tucked in there is Jim’s Alright, Alright, Alright - noted by Matthew McConaughey.

A magical insight.

1 Like

Agree completely!

1 Like

Yes, Jim Morrison was a hell of a showman. At one point on ‘Absolutely Live’, at the end of a song he says in his deep Florida growl: ‘Yeah, pretty neat, pretty neat, pretty good, pretty good’.

There’s also some rather ominous jerking about at the expense of the police controlling the crowd. We’re not far away from his infamous arrest in Miami for exposing himself. He is one of my great heroes, but he lived right on the edge when he was onstage.

Is it possible to find out in some reference book (or whatever) the places and dates of the recordings on those LPs? There’s no useful info on the album sleeve, but can anyone point me in some other direction?

There is the wonderful song by David Crosby on the CPR album.

Morrison

He was lost and I don’t think
He wanted it that way
Like a gull blown inland
On a stormy day

Lost in round one
Spitting out pieces of his teeth
Lost in a Paris graveyard
Carrying his own wreath

2 Likes

I’ll have a look through my Doors ‘library’ - I’m not sure there is a book devoted to the album recording details per se - but the info may be spread around. I’m thinking of the 50th Anniversary sets booklets, for example.

Don’t recall seeing a recordings book on the scale of Greg Wossisname’s On The Road ( the Doors gigs and concerts bible).

Thank you, Stevie. Please don’t spend too much time doing this on my account (unless you want to, of course).

I assumed, perhaps wrongly, that the information on this seminal album (the only Doors ‘live’ album issued during Jim Morrison’s lifetime) would be generally available.

For Absolutely Live it should be possible to get the venues, dates of the tracks using the live recordings released later (Felt Forum, NY etc), also the Bright Midnight releases.

I’ll have a look through my records, CDs etc at the weekend if I get the chance.

Could be that Absolutely Live is a cut and paste job or in those days a cut and splice job.

“According to the producer Paul Rothschild the best part of the songs from the Detroit show may have been spliced together with another part of the same song from the Boston show, trying to create “the ultimate concert.” Rothchild has said, I couldn’t get complete takes of a lot of songs, so sometimes I’d cut from Detroit to Philadelphia. There must be 2,000 edits on that album”.

Yep, it is indeed a cut and paste. Meant to sum up on one recording a total ‘ideal’ Doors concert, or near enough.

Almost succeeds too, until they let Ray get at the mike!

I prefer the originals like Detroit, Boston, Philly etc but AL will always have a soft spot in my heart.

And then of course, we have the great Aquarius shows. Love them.

Still waiting for the complete Matrix though :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
What are DM thinking… :rage:

1 Like

@graham55
I don’t know your present circumstances (mention of a care setting, so I hope you’re on the mend from whatever ails you), but while you’re laid up try ‘the freedomman’ forum and website (I assume you have some web access) - a wealth of chat and information on The Doors and Jim. I’m not a member and have never posted there, but it’s a longstanding Doors fan site. You should find it diverting and interesting. Good luck.

PS - just looking at Live in NY - Felt Forum, Who Do You Love comes from that concert and a few others - Jan 1970, first show. A great record if you can get a copy:

The six CD boxset is essential, if a copy can be found:

3 Likes

This is great. I’m working my way through the 90 tracks tonight! :sweat_smile:

1 Like

That Felt Forum set looks fascinating. Unfortunately, my Mac has not been home to update itself, and isn’t being helpful at letting my search for obscure things.

I’ll try again when I get back home.

But thanks for the tip.

I think, but I’m not sure, that I managed to order one or two copies of the blue disc ‘Absolutely Live’ last week. Who knows, though.

There’s a documentary on the Doors on Sky Arts tonight at 9.10pm

4 Likes