The Electronica Thread

Omniversal by Opiuo. Roon served up Pumpernickel and Sneakers which were great… really enjoyed the album!

Really enjoying music by Niteworks really good band from Scotland, music with a Gaelic twist

I love the track that uses the U2 “with or without you” bassline - combined with the Close Encounters theme. What’s not to like?!

“As if you’ve never been away” …so good.

1 Like

Holy Other - one of the great missing artists. That album - and the EP before it - are so SO Good.

I must have listened to Yr Love a thousand times. Leaves Burial for dead in my view.

Surprised it’s not been mentioned yet - but 76:14 by Global Communication. People that love this album, really LOVE IT. And I’m one of them - my youngest son was born to this playing in the deliver room!

Been released in several formats - most recently a lovely vinyl box set.

If you’ve not heard it - do yourself a favour, and thank me later.

3 Likes

It’s in my top 25 list :blush:

1 Like

It’s one of those records - not dated in any way - sounds like nothing before (except a BIT like Pentamerous Metamorphosis) and just exists on its own.

I’ve introduced it to so many people (read: ex girlfriends :relieved:) that “dont like that sort of thing” who very quickly love it too.

Such a shame Tom Middleton and Mark Pritchard never followed it up. But we have it in all it’s perfection - so should be thankful for that :blush:

Yes i agree! I personally also prefer the original release to the remastered version, it’s much more visceral to me.

76:14 and Biosphere’s Substrata are probably my two favorite ambient/electronic albums…

3 Likes

Couldn’t agree more

1 Like

The Kiasmos album is great. An electronic side project of Ólafur Arnalds and Janus Rasmussen.

All great - but Thrown is probably my favourite track.

4 Likes

A masterpiece.

2 Likes

Of all tracks I’ve played from any genre I have never heard my system do such things as when this one is cranked up. Phenomenal sound stage, great dynamics, PRAT etc. It is now my go-to for impressing mates. Light Years Away by Oliver.

Light years

3 Likes

As posted in the 2021 music thread, if you’re into electronic, especially that which tends towards the industrial end of the genre, cEvin Key’s new album Resonance is a really good choice to dabble your toes in (it’s just been released today, but I’m loving it already).

Graced with vocal guests including Edward Ka Spel (of legendary pink dots and Tear Garden Fame), IAMX and others, it’s an intricate and at times delicate nearly hour of music.

3 Likes

Isn’t it great. The remix singles from this album (all available on bandcamp) are really nice as well.

1 Like

1 Like

You’re gonna love this

First came across them on one of the ‘Erased Tapes’ collections which is a great source to sample new ambient electronica bands, its too easy to loose track these days of whats being released by who, under what name.

2 Likes

They are indeed - I discovered this track on one of them, one of my favourites. Lovely track.

I still love the AfterHours mixes, even though they’re years old. Some really obscure stuff - but wonderfully mixed. Only ever available on CD I think.

The early Back to Mine compliations - similarly ancient - have delivered some real gems too.

The Dave Seaman one (from 1999!!) has some great tracks on it. Epsilon Phase by Global Communication (in fact that MIGHT have been my first exposure to them) and this by Sasha - what a track!

The Nick Warren one is great too. Has this shimmery beaut from Coldcut…amongst other wonders…

And I love the Talvin Singh one. Again - amazing tracks and a really thoughtful mix.

This is on it - possibly the deepest bass ever recorded. If you’ve still got your fillings when you’ve played this - then your system needs work.

1 Like

2 Likes

When I was toddler I spent hours in the park this album is named after looking at the mainline trains whizzing by… whether that has some sort of mental association, I don’t know, but I find this album rather evocative

3 Likes