The End of DSLR's

Nice speed… it has taken me some practice to get props right… it’s a shame, I took this many years ago, I love the picture, but shutter speed far too fast… I got carried away…

I have now learned to pan :grinning:

4 Likes

Yes, it takes a bit of getting used to. Not helped by the extent of blackout on older mirrorless.

Newer cameras suffer less with this but counter intuitively, the slower they are the harder it gets!

This Storch was virtually at jogging pace and trying to pan so slowly without visible camera shake was a b…d.

Storch

5 Likes

What speed did you shoot this… was this image taken at Old Warden by any chance? The Storch is a fantastically slow plane … designed as a spotter and short take off and landing I believe.

1 Like

1/100 at Duxford, I have done slower shots of The Edwardians at Shuttleworth.

Useful to know. Shame they are half the country away……:smirk:.

Waiting to hear from LCE wrt my repair.

Of course vintage jets need quite high shutter speeds when panning… shot at Rougham when it had airshows

This Storch was flying slowly but 1/400th still too fast for these props -

BTW these images were DSLR (D3) - lovely, if somewhat bulky, camera

3 Likes

Quote = £198 for repair, with 6 month warranty. A s/h EF 24-105 F4 L is in the region of £350-400, so the repair cost is not unreasonable, and I’ve told them to go ahead.

That MP-E 65mm Macro will just have to wait :slight_smile:

The end of DSLR, just have too many boxes.

So about half my equipment is being traded in.

Forgive me for teasing you Ian, but I would have thought of all the genuine reasons for switching to mirrorless cameras, box count isn’t one of them! Unless of course, you had intended to post this on a N272 thread :joy:

2 Likes

Funnily enough, a couple of years ago I switched to a Nova for the same thought processes that I am now applying to cameras.

Camera boxes are like boxes for audio , they enhance the value , so I keep them and have built up way too many .

Time to downsize .

1 Like

There’s a fundamental difference, at least for most people: the hi-fi boxes people talk about are usually those sitting in their listening room(s), whereas boxes for camera kit are usually stashed away (and generally a lot smaller than the equivalent packing boxes from hi-fi gear).

1 Like

I still have enough cameras and associated lenses to fill some more boxes .

Time for a clear out. When we talk about Hifi boxes it’s not only the boxes in the rack it’s the boxes in the spare room (though I confess to being lucky in having a spare room) that the stuff in your rack arrived in.

Just make sure that your box pile does not block Mrs H.'s path to her cat bed!

Or there WILL be complaints!

1 Like

Well I did find myself putting the boxes on the stairs, she negotiated her way through the boxes.

She has commandeered the guest bed :bed: for herself and is thoroughly spoiled.

Anyway time to get up and give her some tuna…

Ian

Mrs Houdini is thinking the same …

A Spitfire and a Mustang in the same shot, glorious! Are those D-Day markings on the fuselage of the Mustang?

Great shots, anyway.

1 Like

Indeed I believe they are. This photograph was taken at a Rougham air show in Bury St Edmunds. Sadly the air shows are no more and the airfield is largely concreted over with grotesque ‘distribution’ warehouses. Real shame. The industrial blight of future generations.

1 Like

That’s sad, we’re in danger of concreting over our heritage.

1 Like

Yes indeed, if you are interested in vintage air strips… I have one on my door step… it’s free to visit… but request a donation. Yes there are some small scale rural warehouses / factories nearby … but they fit together in harmony and unobtrusively…

1 Like

Fascinating.

I have Shoreham airport - an old Battle of Britain airfield - just down the way, and we get occasional Spitfire or Hurricane flights buzzing along the seafront. There’s nothing like the sound of those wonderful old Merlins, brings tears to the eye.

1 Like