The End of DSLR's

Nice to see some Pentax fans on here, I know nowadays we are something of a rarity! Having said that I get the impression an awful lot of users started with a Pentax Spotmatic, ME Super or K1000 before moving on to other brands. I still have my ME Super bought in 1981 aged 12 and I used it until I purchased a Pentax MZ-5N around 1996. The MZ-5N is in truth a far better camera - autofocus, autowind and far more accurate exposure metering but I couldn’t bear to part with my first camera and it’s such a lovely looking thing.

From there I jumped into a succession of Pentax DSLR’s - Ist DS (stupid name), K5, K3 and finally K1. The K1 is simply outstanding and has an extraordinary ability to capture light, shade and colour. It’s far beyond anything I will ever have the talent to exploit in terms of image quality, with its full frame lenses it’s bloody heavy to lug around too, but I’ve taken better pictures than I ever thought possible with it… It’s a camera that makes you raise your game as a photographer in the same way that walking on court with a better tennis player does.

JonathanG

12 Likes

I jest, of course.

1 Like

Jamie - I concur!!

(brilliant sketch too!!)

JonathanG

Off topic, sorry, but my favourite M&W sketch. Even after all these years, when you know what’s coming, it’s still brilliant.
Back on topic, lovely photos JonathanG. I remember seeing an amazing photo of Monument Valley, with rainbows arching over the rock formations. The photographer said he’d spent months studying weather patterns, and countless hours of fruitless visits, before getting the “money shot”. Just shows that great photography is of course helped by great equipment, but vision, patience and persistence are even more important.

3 Likes

A quick shot of my little Pentax collection.
K3 Mark iii
K10D
MZ6
ME Super

5 Likes

One of my first photos with Fuji XT30-11. First impressions , as a camera , it’s tiny , but reassuringly well built . It isn’t a beginners camera , and I much prefer a live view over an electronic viewfinder .

I wish I had been able to get an X-Pro3

So this is one of first photos with a camera and lens I am unfamiliar with , you can’t say the colours aren’t vibrant (Velvia mode)

5 Likes

That’s it, the Q3 will be launched this coming Thursday! I am wondering what launch is most exciting, New Classic 300 Series or Q3. I am afraid I will opt for the photographic equipment this time.

I often wonder how much better the great street photographers of the 20thC could have been with 60 megapixels and a flip-up screen…

G

1 Like

I like a flip up screen, I can get all Vivian Maier.

2 Likes

Not much better but more convenient.

I think it is better to be razor sharp than blurred … I would be very proud of that shot

4 Likes

Thanks Ian, to be honest I am proud of it… and yes lessening the speed might have softened the image elsewhere due to panning errors… and these planes fly by really quickly. And that particular lens I seem to remember had no VR.
It would be different now with my Z system.

However I am spending a lot of time enjoying photographing birds, especially in flight. I have experimented with dropping below 1/2000 or slower to get motion in the wing tips , however I think I prefer the images sharp so stick with around 1/2500 or 1/3500

2 Likes

Leica’s new Q3 out.

Looks quite the thing.

But then I fancied a Q1, then a Q2…

3 Likes

I didn’t mean to cut the fancy line but I just started with the Q3 and may not wait for the Q4.

Q2M keeps calling me away from my Q…I’m staying strong.

G

1 Like

Haha there will be a Q3M and with the added functionality, resistance will be difficult….

Nooooo!

G

1 Like

My attempts to buy an XE4 floundered as Fuji had stopped making in around Dec 2022, still being advertised in Mar 2023.

The list price brand new £799 , the asking price as second hand (condition 9.5) £950

Ian,

I hadn’t realised that it was discontinued - I guess an XE4 must be on the way then. I actually bought my XE3 just after it was discontinued and I think it was £499 with the 18-50 F4 bundled with it. I thought that was a pretty good deal at the time.

This website is the best for finding the best price on gear in the UK and it looks like there’s still a dealer with stock…

JonathanG

1 Like

The Q3 looks well tasty…

1 Like