The fate of the NAC-N 272. Still keeps me awake at night

Just noticed that Sevenoaks are selling the 272 with a 46% discount. Would this suggest that a replacement is imminent?

3 Likes

Well maybe Cliff, but more likely they just want to shift a discontinued item.

Regards,

Lindsay

@CliffH

replacement for whom? for the 272
or for you (By doing an upgrade)?
:wink:

That was my point. Is this an indication that the 272 is about to be discontinued and they want to clear the decks? It’s very unusual to see Naim kit discounted like this (as someone who bought a ND5XS at full price about a month before it was replaced by the ND5XS2 knows only too well).

It has been discontinued.

1 Like

I missed that. It’s still listed as a current product on the Naim website.

The Naim website does not have a particularly strong correlation with reality. The V1 and 100 show as extant when they are not, and there are lots of oddities.

1 Like

See what happened to Nds. They are sold 2/3 k euros know. 33% of their original price.

Yes, there were several boxes discontinued earlier in the year where the website hasn’t caught up. I believe that the website is having a major revamp, so I guess that the products listed in that email will be tidied up then.

Which will come first I wonder? The revamped website or the 272 replacement?

5 Likes

I’ve “heard” that the delay on the website is the difficulty in showing off the new Naim turntable well.

Or perhaps it’s just waiting for the set up video for the cassette deck*…

• hint - am patiently standing by
5 Likes

Not the Fraim wallshelf or the Aro 2 then?

3 Likes

Or the Active Kan. First coop from Naim/Focal.

1 Like

Using a 272 today with a 250DR. Thinking of updating to 300DR. Do I connect the 272 to 300DR with the two analogue DIN out on the 272. Are they left and right channel? No marking in the DIN for some reason.

Also, will the 300DR include two signal cables on purchase?

The outputs are both stereo but the two leads that come with the 300 are left and right mono, so it all works out. But… get a 555PS before adding a 300 to a bare 272.

The 300 leads have a red & green band, red = right. Plug n play.

HH is right, the 272 comes to life with a 555ps, but it never quite worked for me into a 250. Swapping that for the 300 was where everything made sense. Be aware though that you’re going down a bit of a cul-de-sac with this; any thoughts of upgrading the source involves a big leap in terms of boxes and costs as the logical path is 282 or 252 + various power supplies, and an NDX2 or better. Truth is tho that there’s no great rush to upgrade as it’s such a good combination, esp if you sit it on a Fraim.

That’s why Naim must release a new 272 :sunglasses: I won’t get more boxes. So either they do it or next move would be another brand. My Harbeth SHL5 Plus love power so I’m quite positive they will love the 300DR.

5 Likes

Yes. Since they already discontinued the 272 there would be nothing to lose with pre-announcing the next model (or that there will be no replament).

A 272 is a ”good enough” solution if you see streaming as a second source at least until the streaming market matures/stabilizes. Run the LP12 or perhaps CD as main source until then.

1 Like