The fate of the NAC-N 272. Still keeps me awake at night

Linn launched an updated Majik DSM - below the Selekt in their product stack. Not full Katalyst DAC, around UKP 3000.

They made a thing of the fact that all their hardware up to 13 years old can run the latest software version.

Yeah, they need some media training :slight_smile:

1 Like

Let’s hope all their skills are in product design…

Jan, you have changed your preamp for an Ear 912 apparently. Do you like it? I have it too , so very curious.

At least they explained it all in a nice simple way. I’d rather that than one of Naim’s silly teasers for a product that won’t hit the shelves for another year, or staff tweeting that they are ‘getting excited’ about a car stereo. Plain and simple is better than flash and bling.

4 Likes

why would you not buy a 272-2 instead of the integrated options? still gets me. after hearing the current integrated options.

why would you not buy a 272-1 instead of the integrated options? still gets me. after hearing the current integrated options.

Which Integrated options?

SN2 , i had a listen but there wasn’t the detail vs 272/250.
SN3 - not heard.

Ahh ok, those ones!

Performance comes with seperation and isolation. I don’t think many would disagree that a dedicated preamp and power amp especially when driven by their own seperate power supply or supplies will be the better performing system.
I think the more interesting point is how good a compromise can NAIM build in an integrated amplifier design (NAIT) when compared first and foremost to their own higher specification products.
Today you hit the ceiling with a Supernait 3 paired most commonly with a HiCap and whilst possible, less frequently so with a SuperCap.
I’ve owned all the Supernaits and had a 202/200 system in the past.
Albeit by another path I’ve done pretty much what the OP is asking a question about, going from a more complex system to one less so whilst keeping within the Naim product range. Admittedly it comes with compromise but what I’ve got now I enjoy sufficiently and know it suits my priorities.
Overall system resolution and performance aren’t always peoples top priority.
Footnote: Just realised I thought I was adding a comment to another thread! Late here…

3 Likes

Wise words, I’m at the front end buying is better so anything is “better”. Obviously not. listen to some music maybe!

Never enough listening time, not in my world at least!
Ironically I was talking about the 272 to my Naim dealer earlier today. His view being that today they’d point someone towards a SN3 + NDX2 rather than a 272/250 as bang for boxes wise, there’s probably not a lot in it realistically.
Comments like that will divide opinion but If I was looking for a 2 box setup today I think I’d personally be inclined towards the SN3 + NDX2 option. If you want to develop that further you’ve got an XPS or 555PS to pair with the NDX2 and you’re still only at 3 boxes, a HiCap is + 1/2.
If your focus is budget, a used 272 remains a great bargain, paired with a 250DR you’re under £5k spend. Ex demo SN3 + NDX2 is around £7-7.5k.

2 Likes

thanks for the reply. looking for the next upgrade definitely. caught Naim trap 2 years ago, 252 preaamp, brilliant.

My dealer said the exact same thing, and here we are!

It depends also of the speakers being powered. Some will need much more 250, other will perform very well with an SN3.
As for the dealer advise, I tend to not trust them. The margin of the dealer will be bigger with an Ndx2/SN3, than ex demo 272 and 250.

2 Likes

Hence my comments about budget and the remaining value of a 272/250 as a system.
The SN3 is a good compromise if you are happy to accept that, as many are.
If however system performance is your top priority then your main concerns are budget and space. You’ll also never be happy with a NAIT based system and always want more.

1 Like

Put an XPS DR on your NDX2

2 Likes

Agree if you pair the right pair of speakers with a Nait they can sound superb…but you need to be very careful…speaker matching is critical.

1 Like

It’s pretty obvious that they’d point someone at the ND/SN option ‘today’, as the 272 is discontinued and the NDX2 has greater functionality. If a new 272 appears we will be back to the whole either/or debate again. Five years ago, when I bought the 272 over the NDX/SN2, it was the volume control and the fact that even when upgraded it still only uses two mains leads that decided it. Relative SQ wasn’t a consideration. It was all about form and function.

2 Likes

Reality being most people if they’re honest would be more than happy with either setup, once it’s plumbed in and doing its thing you’d probably struggle to find fault with either.
My previous comments about value for money stand, a 272/250 setup can be had with enough spare change for some new speakers or higher spec cabling vs a SN3/NDX2.
I did compare it around the time of looking at a Supernait 2 + ND5 XS2 and there was no doubt which was the better system.
Gives us something to talk about on a sunny Friday if nothing else :slight_smile:

1 Like