The fate of the NAC-N 272. Still keeps me awake at night

Do you mean, how did Naim improve the NDX2 over the NDX? The main improvements were that the NDX2 used the new improved streaming platform and incorporated Low Voltage Differential Signalling. Also the DAC was upgraded to the PCM1792A with Naim custom filtering and discrete analogue output stage.

4 Likes

the new 272 (if there ever is one) may not be priced as attractively as the previous one…?

A new 272 has to be different to the old one but if the improvements are worthwhile a reasonable price increase is probably justified.

I suppose its the same story as usual, listen and decide if the upgrade is value for money.

not sure why lots of folks think the 272.2 is absolutely necessary…

NDX2 with a 202/200 or Supernait 3 or 282/200 is still 2 or 3 boxes…

1 Like

@Analogmusic

Indeed. If a two box system is chosen, (for me) it would be an ndx2 / Sn3

5 Likes

I’ve wrote this earlier … if I would upgrade from 272 to e.g. NDX2/282/HC which seems a logical move, this would requyire an additional outlay of more than EUR 10.000 which is something that I can never spend …

it depends on which streaming services are really needed.

and adding streaming services to a 272, there’s other ways…

Bubble UPNP
MConnect app on the Ipad…

then there’s always Roon with a suitable end point…

I’m not talking about additional streaming services, but a better performance …

@Klout10
if i was in your shoes, i wouldn´t consider moving for another 5 years.
(you’re system is in my ideal sweet spot performanceVS cost)

1 Like

I’m not sure the 282/NDX2 actually would be a logical move. I just don’t think it’s sufficiently better to justify the money. I wouldn’t change my 272/555 for less than an NDS and 552, which isn’t going to happen.

Those of us with 272s know how good it is, and appreciate having such a fine sounding and flexible device in a discreet package.

5 Likes

there was a thread on this forum a while ago - a forum member added a DCS (!) network bridge to his 272, and soon realised that the DCS wasn’t adding any sound quality, He sold his DCS NB.

better performance - maybe, but by how much. Maybe.

If there ever is a 272.2

1 Like

well the maths and money doesn’t work out - so why not enjoy music on what you have today…

1 Like

I know I now own a NDX2/282 but I can’t say I’ve ever heard a 272 at this level.
Not how mine is setup anyway. Amazed at the difference, i don’t think the NDX2 gets enough credit as I am using it bare and it is in a different league with the 282 in comparison to when coupled to my previous Supernait2.
Gobsmacked.

…and when you eventually add the XPS DR to the NDX2 you will be ‘amazed’ once again at the difference. Gobsmacked twice!

2 Likes

Did a demo with the XPSDR on the Supernait2 and I didn’t think it did much.
All in good time it will get tested with this but I am still inclined to try the 555DR. However this bare is nothing like it was with a Supernait2.
I now certainly get why Naim is known for their NAC’s!

Completely agree, and I hope it is clear that I am not blaming Naim for anything, they have to work with a lot of constraints, and in the end the one thing we all want most is a healthy Naim for decades to come.
I’m just so excited about the :heart: 300 :heart: and as Naim like to listen to what their customers want, or so I heard, what I wrote is just my hints for how to extract more money from me :slight_smile:

XPS DR on a SuperNait2??

No worries, I’m perfectly happy with the system right now!

1 Like

Yep, it’s was only at a dealers tho and I don’t know how much attention was paid to burndys or anything.

1 Like

As far as I know, the SuperNait can only be upgraded with a HiCap