The fate of the NAC-N 272. Still keeps me awake at night

Or the Active Kan. First coop from Naim/Focal.

1 Like

Using a 272 today with a 250DR. Thinking of updating to 300DR. Do I connect the 272 to 300DR with the two analogue DIN out on the 272. Are they left and right channel? No marking in the DIN for some reason.

Also, will the 300DR include two signal cables on purchase?

The outputs are both stereo but the two leads that come with the 300 are left and right mono, so it all works out. But… get a 555PS before adding a 300 to a bare 272.

The 300 leads have a red & green band, red = right. Plug n play.

HH is right, the 272 comes to life with a 555ps, but it never quite worked for me into a 250. Swapping that for the 300 was where everything made sense. Be aware though that you’re going down a bit of a cul-de-sac with this; any thoughts of upgrading the source involves a big leap in terms of boxes and costs as the logical path is 282 or 252 + various power supplies, and an NDX2 or better. Truth is tho that there’s no great rush to upgrade as it’s such a good combination, esp if you sit it on a Fraim.

That’s why Naim must release a new 272 :sunglasses: I won’t get more boxes. So either they do it or next move would be another brand. My Harbeth SHL5 Plus love power so I’m quite positive they will love the 300DR.

5 Likes

Yes. Since they already discontinued the 272 there would be nothing to lose with pre-announcing the next model (or that there will be no replament).

A 272 is a ”good enough” solution if you see streaming as a second source at least until the streaming market matures/stabilizes. Run the LP12 or perhaps CD as main source until then.

1 Like

I personally have no issues with 272 as a streaming platform. Only Tidal and Spotify available here anyway and it does what I need :slight_smile: A new gen would be more interesting in terms of DAC and streaming performance and pre-amp performance rather than added features and support (to me).

1 Like

Reports of it’s demise may have been greatly exaggerated, it seems to be alive and well and still on the Naim website (listed under ‘Classic Series’ products).

With the transformer and other PSU components occupying so much space in the box, yes.

Remove the transformer and that space becomes available for electronic components such as the digital boards. This will enable the designers to substantially improve the layout, and then much better inter board isolation becomes possible.

For those after an end of range bargain Sevenoaks Sound and Vision have NAC-N 272s for £1999!
I’m picking mine up on Tuesday…

3 Likes

@boggit

I felt compelled to pull the trigger, but the dealer doesn’t sell outside the UK. Too bad.
:sweat_smile:

1 Like

Does the 272 work with the old style XPS or does it require XPS-2?

Tempting - I have a spare CB 250, XPS, set of Dynaudio speakers and NAC A5 in search of a source/pre for a second system.

You are right - they have not done it in public. It was a leaked memo from Naim that signals published to its customers.

”we have taken the decision to stop making one of our most popular streaming products, the NAC-N 272, as we can’t upgrade it any further”

or perhaps I was fooled and it was fake news. It was just when covid exploded. Search for ”email from signals”.

I think it was the right decision but strange given they then went quiet letting customers believe they are getting out of that market. Just take a preamp and glue an iphone in one corner. plus a dac. done. and (soon) 5G and wifi6-ready.

You can’t use an olive XPS with any of the streamers, including the 272.

1 Like

Thank you for that - makes the decision an easy one.

Surely that has to be in jest!
?

In comparison to a 272, the audio quality of an iPhone is dire! (Fairly good for a basic portable device, but compared to a Naim streamer…!)
That would also be a disaster in terms of internal interference.

Had a chat with my dealer this morning and he’s unsure if they’ll replace the 272. He did say that he thought Naim would suffer if they don’t as all their major competitors do have a least a streaming pre amp (some have streaming/integrated amps).

2 Likes

172 no screen no PS around 3k£
272 color screen PS optional Around +6/7k£
572 needs a 555ps ( second optional with benefits) Around 18k£ / plus PS

That i would do, maybe even add an optional phono stage

They may cannibalise the Separates but they will get more from the competition

SQ wise they need to be a step less than separeates but close enough

572 can not be better than 552/ND555 than whole chain will colapse but close

They all can be very good value proposition to current Naim lineup that is getting more and more expensive

572/2 555ps/nap500 a very good system:)

I just wish Naim could be more open. They have already mostly let this cat
cat out.

I dont think someone looking for Linn Selekt/DSM/272 type produkt will see a
Naim preamp! How novel! And with two tape loops for my cassette decks!

1 Like

How would you describe the Nova? Isn’t the Nova a streaming integrated?

2 Likes