The Forum Album of the Year 2020 - The Poll

Right folks , the Album of the Year thread is running out of steam so time to put the top choices to the vote. By using a combination of nominations, honourable mentions, ‘likes’ and other entirely undemocratic methods, I have narrowed the field down to a short list of 10 albums. Remember it’s all just a bit of fun so let the best album win! One vote each please. And the nomination are…

• Nick Cave - Idiot Prayer
  • Bob Dylan- Rough And Rowdy Ways
  • The Third Mind - The Third Mind
  • Fiona Apple - Fetch The Bolt Cutters
  • Vikingur Olafsson - Debussy/Rameau
  • Rumer - Nashville Tears
  • The War On Drugs - Live Drugs
  • Matt Berninger - Serpentine Prison
  • David Bowie - Changes Now
  • Tony Allen & Hugh Masekela - Rejoice

0 voters

3 Likes

None of these get my vote for album of the year despite some of them being great albums.

6 Likes

Not to worry - it’s not compulsory

2 Likes

Thanks @crispyduck for organising this thread and the album of the year one, it’s been great fun and lots of stuff to discover.

I went for Bowie because, while it might not be the most original or “best” album, it’s certainly the one I have enjoyed most in 2020 and the one I keep coming back to and that, to me makes it my choice.

2 Likes

Shameless ploy by me to get topic near top of list again so people can see it and vote

1 Like

:+1: :+1: :rofl: :rofl:

I’ve voted, but out in the real world only 4 of those albums, maybe only 3, make it into any end of year lists.

I had only heard of one - so it got my vote.
But I’m not tempted to listen to the others …

2 Likes

I’ve gone for Rejoice, but I have to say I am really enjoying Idiot Prayer, deciding factor was that as good as that is, I enjoyed the original material for the albums from which it came. The performance is spell binding however, so I understand why it’s so liked. Rejoice however was an infectious little ear worm that was a real surprise. Great thread and I’ve found new music, thanks for setting it in motion.

1 Like

Bruce Springsteen - Letter to you

7 Likes

And which real world is that?

I’ve gone for Live Drugs- obvs! Although I would put Changes Now alongside it- it satisfies the inclusion criteria which I hadn’t realised. Nonetheless it’s a great thread and I think it is compulsory to vote, isn’t it😂

2 Likes

…I’ll wait to January before voting for the 2020 album of the year.

1 Like

Of course ( but the shortlist won’t change!)

Moi aussi.

Vikingur.

I would add, off the cuff, the eponymous LP by GoGo Penguin on Blue Note.

Lovely soundscapes as well as great rhythms.

2 Likes

… not for you perhaps, but hard to call a race before everyone has had a chance to get to the starting line.

If this was an election I would be sending my lawyers to the courts for declaring a winner before the polls have closed, or even opened for some.

4 Likes

I think you might have missed the ‘bit of fun’ part of the opening post. By all means open your own best of thread on December 31st

2 Likes

…then again you could rename your thread “The Forum Album of the Year (so far) during the Year 2020 - The Poll” :wink:

1 Like

Not sure what one to choose, can you amend to include the album thumbnails so I can make an informed decision? :laughing:

There are some fantastic album’s on this list!