The future for NAC- N 272

Having been using Tidal Max for a while now I’d tend to agree, and say the benefit is minimal.

Where the 272 is weakest is the gen1 streaming card, so the addition of a carefully chosen external streamer could give both a SQ uplift (as reported by various forum members) and access to hires streaming. Plus enable things like FLAC internet radio streams which the 272 also misses out on currently.

If we still had 272/XPSDR we’d have upgraded to at least an NSC222 by now!!!

2 Likes

add a pi based streamer and your away with a new lease of life…

1 Like

Yes, and the benefit of having less digital processing occurring inside the 272, which would mean less EM noise.

2 Likes

Thanks Hifi-dog… but,
A pi based streamer, what does it do…? and what is it typically called, is it affordable…?

A ‘pi based streamer’ is, typically, a home made streamer based on a Raspberry Pi tiny computer main board, to which the builder add a case, psu and frequently supplementary electronics built to the Pi’s interface standard by low volume third party manufacturers. The builder then adds an OS and streaming software, usually open source.

They can give quite outstanding results, but cannot be considered simple plug and play. The Pi ecosystem expects an appropriate degree of (low level) computer (programming) knowledge.

Hope this clarifies,

ATB, J

3 Likes

The 272’s future has already been written. If you’re committed to staying with it, adding a 555PSDR, and adding bubble soft and minimserver apps to your network via NAS, QNAP/Synology/RPi/etc will maximize the SQ. There are lots of threads here detailing how to get the software mods up and running. Bubblesoft will allow you to pull in Qobuz/Tidal lossless and minimserver will allow you to bring in lossless radio stations. Another option for lossless radio sations is Kurt’s solution here. He deployed a cloud solution that allows you to add lossless stations via vtuner so they’re integrated into iRadio. Also, remember to transcode all your formats to WAV for better SQ. These solutions on an optimized network allows these three boxes to punch way above their weight. I ran this system for a few years and it was good enough I didn’t feel compelled to go down the more expensive and tedious OC separates route.

Kurt’s thread for lossless radio

Here’s a list of Kurt’s radio stations
http://129.146.133.23:9001/fwp/stations

1 Like

You can get a Project stream box ultra S2 streamer which is an off the shelf pi based streamer designed by John westlake… it’s really good and tiny. Tuck it out if the way and your 272 will play all modern streaming services

Or there are several ready built pu streamers on eBay for under £150

1 Like

I have to say , as someone who’s looking into getting an amp and streamer soon the prospect of the n272 was at first attractive but I have to say the way they are plummeting in price and the fact the streaming side may well be redundant soon puts m off , I’m aware the pre amp section is very good if not better than the 202 however no one wants a unit that has little resale value , most naim kit holds its value very well

1 Like

Well…… the way I understand it, the streaming side won’t become redundant but rather doesn’t support the more recent streaming platforms, eg Quobuz, etc.

Nevertheless, Spotify and Tidal are directly supported and the addition of and external box, eg the Project Stream Box Ultra, would rectify the shortfall. Also the ‘plummeting 272 prices’ can surely only play to your advantage……

Given the prices of even a 2-box NC 200 series system the ‘pre-loved’ 272 options must be worth consideration.

Just thinking aloud, YMMV,

ATB, J

1 Like

@Woodford , well I have actually kept my 272 when I bought a 222 a few weeks ago. I consider the 272 to be the Swiss Army knife of Naim preamps and it is an excellent preamp! I have had a chance to use Quoboz on the 222 and there wasn’t enough hi Rez versions of things I listen to for it to be worth while over Tidal. And if you have a NAS and the 272 is hard wired, then there is absolutely nothing wrong with getting one, especially as prices make it a bargain.

3 Likes

Regarding the streamer in the 272 would you say it was more in line with the nd5xs or the NDX , thanks in advance guys

1 Like

In terms of streaming functionality they are more or less identical. In terms of sound quality the NDX is well ahead. Direct comparisons are less straightforward unless you use the same preamp, but I would put the 272 at around ND5XS level. A power supply upgrade on either of these units does improve them significantly though, but that increases the price of the 272 into full separates territory if you add, say, an XPS.

3 Likes

I think you make a good case for buying the 272. They’re a steal now and if you’re willing to put in the time will be useful for years to come. And with a PS it’s still less expensive than separates with SQ that’s on par for the most part.

3 Likes

Thank you all very much for your informed answers to my question. Many people, in fact most of you, think I should keep the 272 and combine it with another external device, whichever combination I end up with. As I said, I bought the 272 this year hoping that Tidal/Naim would give me the ability to play 24 bit Flac. I’m going to shoot a white arrow at that, it probably won’t happen.

2 Likes

Hifi dog
This Project streamer, is it just plug and play and does it have its own sound? I mean it only works as a steaming link, right? Is music streaming still controlled through the Tidal software on my iPad?

I’ve always been very happy with my 272/XPS since buying it. HiRes can be served up with any Server and Tidal Connect by a WiiM Mini or other such device.

2 Likes

Plug n play with usb out and it has its own app from project . I used mine as Roon endpoint .

1 Like

Thats a good question. Thanks

If you’re going to use a separate streamer into the 272 you should choose one with an SPDIF output - coax or optical, but preferably coax. A USB output could be used but you would need a USB to SPDIF converter.

1 Like

Sonos Port, coax out into 272 dac?