The Grand Cafe

And here is the inside of the Jimny , there is a 2022 model with 148 miles on the clock on line for £26,000 …

On the narrow country roads around where I live it makes a lot of sense

2 Likes

They’d make a lot sense on your narrow country lanes. I got upgraded to an E class merc in England on our last trip, thought it was wonderful till we were in driving through all those lanes heading to Dartmouth.

2 Likes

Sat navs are a total nightmare for finding short cuts down narrow lanes😬

1 Like

The problem was it was too wide, we were closing our eyes every time we went pass something. Thought I’d lose the door handles.

1 Like

Yep… they’re expensive. Too expensive IMO. I’d look at a landrover for that money.

20K…

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

That Land Rover in that condition would be more than 50k here and that’s if you we’re lucky enough to find one.

@Ardbeg10y first ones on me

3 Likes

Have you sorted out dates for a UK visit next year, if not, i can send you through dates of school holidays 2023. Best to avoid, much busier and more expensive.

1 Like

That’ll help, thanks.

They vary slightly across the country, but it gives you broad dates to avoid.
Spring half term 13 to 17 th feb
Easter 3 - 14 th April
Mayday 1st May bank holiday
Summer half term 29th May to June 2nd
Summer shutdown 24 th July to August 31 st
Autumn half term Oct 23 - 27th

1 Like

Plus extra bank holiday on May 8th I think Gazza.

2 Likes

Ah yes of course, the coronation of King Charles will attract tourists and might bump up flights and hotels, though you of course might be interested, its a one off.

2 Likes

Ironically I do see a few Jimny’s when I’m in Devon, on knobbly tyres and squeezing down those narrow lanes.

1 Like

Growing up, my brother and I were big Land Rover fans and remain so, even though we find we are now too wide to fit in one with a top part to the door. I remember us tutting in disapproval at the Series 111 grille treatment when it came out but I’ve got used to it now!

One of the originals is in the motor museum at Gaydon and its design, driven by necessity, available materials and purpose still inspires me.

The common ailments like weedy heaters, leaky door seals etc have spawned several aftermarket fixes, and I’d like to get one for my son so he can also learn and experience the basics. It won’t be as well kept as the example in the picture though.

The one in the piccy is nice isn’t it? :slight_smile:

However less pristine, but perfectly drivable examples start from 10K; it depends on how much work you’re prepared to do. I spent a lot of time working on my old SIII (I had two in succession) and, tbh, SWMBO would probably not want to go back to being so much of a ‘garage widow’ so I’d probably be looking at one needing less initial work.

1 Like

Slight dilemma. Asked my wife what she would like for Christmas. She replied - another dog.
Explained we need to be sure we can look after ourselves before adding what could be extra stress.
She said a dog would be a stress buster.
It’s been 14 months since our last dog died and that’s the longest we’ve gone without one and last Christmas was the first we’ve ever had without a dog.
Difficult decision.

4 Likes

That is a difficult one, but i suppose if it got to a point in hopefully many years time……the dog could be re-homed?

4 Likes

If it were me, I would go with what your wife is saying.

For us it’s cats not dogs, but I always get to the point where another cat is a must within a couple of months of losing one and we have never regretted it later.

Also you could look for a rescue rather than a puppy. There are loads of them out there looking for love, you probably wouldn’t need to pay much more than a donation to the charity that is looking after it and the timescales are all shorter. You may be able to foster one initially and convert it into permanency later.

7 Likes

I’m with David on this one. Getting a pet is a known method in psychiatry for people looking for stability and basically a normal happy life.

You may have noticed that we recently got a new cat. It was a bit difficult for me first since it felt as betrayal to my (emphasis on MY) late cat, but it feels great to have one again. He fits perfectly in in the family.

Maybe think and agree about what to do if it does not turn out to be a success?

5 Likes