The Grand Cafe

Warmer than the rest of Canada, but yes, I would not recommend a visit during our winter.

Our kids want to ski there, at one stage we were going this year unfortunately circumstances changed all that. I am hoping to get back, loved Vancouver Island and Friday night $1 oysters. :grin:

1 Like

Was it MS? I thought it was Crowdstrike…

1 Like

Think they’re owned by MS or have some connection. The problem was MS software

Crowdstrike is a publicly listed company (NASDAQ: CRWD) and the update of their software Falcon was causing the problem (impacting MS windows operating system).

:+1:

1 Like

You’ll need $2 now and that would be a good deal.
Still worth it though

Inflation :grin:

And a bmw for the fisherman.

Especially with a cold beer or glass of white looking out onto the harbour. We were fortunate enough to be staying right on the waterfront.

Sorry Mike I missed this yesterday, about 230m2 per floor (x2).

1 Like

Wow, that’s pretty big. I was looking at retirement villas the other week back home with mum to have some ideas if she needed to leave home. The 2 bed villas are 110m2. Our apartment here at Marcoola is bigger than that, it would be $750/week in winter for a long term rent - which is quite an appealing option.

Just had a sea swim - lovely, but cool. Did a walk up Mount Coolum this morning. I need to get fit :flushed:

I’ve decided pretty much everything here is better than at home, except our sheltered cove type beaches are probably better.

5 Likes

Mike what you get on holidays is not always what you get when you live there. It’s a bit of the grass is greener thingy. Could be a great move but needs careful consideration. There’s family friends and work.

Real estate here is unsustainable, it can’t continue.

Re our space the 230m2 upstairs is based on 2 bedrooms and open plan kitchen/dinning/living room with a good size outside space.

2 Likes

Yes, there is always a bit of that at play. A move probably isn’t likely, but extended winter holidays is appealing if it’s affordable.

It’s the same in NZ too, though prices are starting to drop where we live. I’d have liked to build a new house, but land and building costs are just not manageable for us at the moment.

2 Likes

I can confirm that, my budget is already shot.

2 Likes

I think that maybe just a tad optimistic weather profile for a lot of the Vancouver area, and even over in Victoria on the island, although I sincerely admire your enthusiasm.
My wife’s sister has been in Van for 50 years and still gets a little tired of the rain and the cloudy days. My wife lived there for 2 or 3 years and she came back because of that. My daughter lives in Victoria now but was in Vancouver for about the last 10 years, and the cloudy days are daunting at times.

The last two Winters I think Vancouver actually had more snow than we had in the Toronto area, down by the lake. I used to snow thrower once, and that was only on about an inch and a half of snow.
The weather patterns seem to be changing quite a bit lately and not necessarily for the better. Although, I do appreciate the warmer weather we’ve been having in the Golden horseshoe area here.

Btw, they used to be a nice little Jazz bar on Granville Island that I went to a few times. Do you know if it’s still there?

1 Like

Haven’t you still got quite a bit to do :flushed::pray:

3 Likes

Biggest costs, structure steel concrete nearly all complete and paid for. We’re about $250k over budget, but our forecast was based on pre the huge price increases materials/labour so it probably wasn’t realistic. It should come in close to our now revised budget.

4 Likes

Gosh, I hope so and that the extra cost is manageable. Still, given your situation, having a nice completed home is really important.

4 Likes

Yes I feel I need to deliver what I promised Mrs Pete and I need to get into a studio. With what’s going on I don’t really know what my future holds and would be pissed if I didn’t get a few years (at least) in the studio.

The costs are manageable just we wouldn’t get it back if we sold it straight away, however rent wise it’s a good investment.

I’ve already sold my soul. :grin:

5 Likes