The Grand Cafe

Just did. And am indeed surprised, especially as to how unrealistic the recommendations are. Are these recommendations perhaps set by the manufacturers trying to upsell?

The largest TVs, at 85" would still be too small going by this. My livingroom is large, but not exceptionally so.

I think about 15 years ago the recommendation used to be 10" for every meter you’re away (an interesting mix of units), I wonder why it it would be so fastly different now?

For reference, I’m about 4,6 m away from a 50" screen, while i would definitely go up a size (or two?) when replacing it, anything larger would start to look ridiculous IMO. It’s a livingroom after all, not a cinema.

2 Likes

15 years ago you didn’t have 4K video.

1 Like

Just got back from seeing the 3rd instalment of Star Wars (The Return Of The Jedi) at the cinema.
That’s all 3 watched at the Cinema in a single Bank Holiday weekend and the first time Mrs Q has seen them on the big screen.
Very nostalgic for me. First chance to see them in 40 plus years. I was 12 when the first Star Wars came out and my best friend at the time and I saw it 12 times at the cinema.
They are doing a whole bunch of “Rewinds” at the moment, so we’ll be going back to see several old favourites from yesteryear in the coming months I’m sure.

5 Likes

Well done! My kids have tricked my wife into an agreement to watch them all (my wife does not like Star Wars, the other 5 of the family do).

It’s a trap! (Sic)

2 Likes

Televisions are very much a specification war it seems. I’ve visited during lunchtime one of the most horrible places of mankind - the MediaMarkt - and try to compare screens. They all shout ‘buy me! Buy me! Buy me!’ seconded by usually clueless sales guys trying to manoeuvre you to the highest margin television. That’s what they should do, and good for them but I didn’t get any wiser.

I think I’ll check Marktplaats and EBay Kleinanzeigen and try to secure a second hand television. I’m very happy with my current television and perhaps just buy the model a nudge larger.

Or look at the reviews and buy the outgoing models they discount…….do you have black friday deals

1 Like

And why would that require a larger screen?

1 Like

It’s all about the distance you can sit from the TV and just not make out the pixelation. So if you have a room where you sit 3 m from the TV, then you need a certain size to get the full benefit of an HD picture. But if it’s 4K then the screen will need to be much larger.

3 Likes

Seems like it’s more a limit than a requirement then.

1 Like

Yes that’s true of course. But if you want to luxuriate in the detail you get with 4K, you have to sit close enough to be able to see the detail or have a bigger TV. And as people get older rather than younger, that’s another reason to have a bigger TV.

Personally I’m not that bothered about it, but it is a reason why TV sizes that were good 15 years ago aren’t going to be so special now.

2 Likes

Strange how we managed with a 9" screen in 405 lines. Mind you, I wouldn’t go back to those days.

And in black and white (well a grainy grey).

1 Like

I watched (among many other things) A for Andromeda and Dr Who - I think that the screen quality added to those programmes.

Probably my favourite opening line of any SF novel is “The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel.”
Which is meaningless to anyone under 30.

8 Likes

I measure about 11 feet from my face to the TV. It’s a 65 inch TV, and it could easily go up a size to a 75 inch.
When that earlier info was given, most cars had a 220hp engine. Now, the family mini-van that the mums cruise around in have 300 to 350hp engines and they wouldn’t have bought it if it didn’t.
I’m not sure I agree with all of the changes, but it’s probably best if one keeps up, somewhat, with the times.

Sorry, @Ardbeg10y , if money is currently an issue/factor, then it changes the discussion completely. I keep a TV for at least 20 years, so if I spend $2000 or $3000, it makes no difference. Either 100 or 150 per year is not something I bother thinking about. A cheap hobby, by all accounts.

1 Like

I’ve got a 75” and I’m just in the middle of working out how far should I sit back from the screen.

1 Like

I actually haven’t googled it for quite a while, but I would think between 11 and 13 feet. Depends how much of a video experience you prefer.
We watch a 65" at 11 feet measured from our faces, and it just seems about right for basic shows and sitcoms. But it is lacking when it comes to movies and we wish it was larger for those. Sometimes we’ll move our chairs up a bit.

The problem with the movies is that they are mostly wide screen and there are wide black bars across the bottom and top of the screen, greatly reducing the picture size.

1 Like

Had a good meeting with my oncologist today she’s happy with my progress, there’s still a few things they want to check mainly to do with the flu and if it’s done any damage to my lungs. My stem cell transplant is still on track for the 9th of September it’s going to be a tough couple of weeks but hopefully it should have a good outcome.

She also told there’s a breakthrough in how they treat my cancer. Apparently they’re now able to retrain the cells to attack cancer and it should be readily available before mine bounces back.

28 Likes

Hey, that’s very good news, Pete. The stem cell thing does sound rough, I hope it’s easier than you think.
Getting close to the end of all these damn treatments at least.

3 Likes