The Grand Cafe

Are you looking at moving on from your beloved Royds?

Always looking, think there losing a bit of sparkle in the top end.

1 Like

Bruce Springsteen just announced in an interview on local tv that if the current administration is re-elected his moving to Australia. Now thatā€™s caused me a dilemma.

1 Like

Would love to see him here Pete but not sure he would be any better off ha ha !!

Well thatā€™s also true, but letā€™s not tell him. :grin:

Yeah, all the elites said that last time. But of course America makes them rich and they love their money above everything else.

Think we need to be careful a single comment might get past our fearless leader but a continuing conversation will lead to deletion.

1 Like

Your music is good - but my suggestion was for assessing speakers in a different room from yours, and also with the same amp to rule out amp differences from what you hear! Doing this way can significantly reduce the risk if being disappointed when you get the new speakers home.

As a case in point, the B&W 802D2 I auditioned at the dealerā€™s sounded pretty good. If I had heard on their own and not compared with my speakers, I might have been tempted to buy - but the comparison told me otherwise.

Why Focal speakers Pete?

Can you service the tweeters on the Royds?

Why not.

Fair enough - our illustrious dealer said your royds are great

Not sure they 25 years old. Iā€™m sure crossovers have advanced since then. Who knows they stood up well against other more expensive speakers.

They are and I might be disappointed again. But itā€™s worth a listen.

Any chance of hearing a pair of Dynaudio Special 40ā€™s?

They are indeed strange creatures.

1 Like

Iā€™ll Google and see whatā€™s in Sydney.

1 Like

I have an old pair of Rega ELAs in the loftā€¦I sure they were based on a Royd designā€¦the tweeters which are Hiqcuvon (same as Kan) have holes drilled in the domeā€¦

Grandson number 4 poked mine with his finger, luckily I thought of using a vacuum cleaner to pop it back out. But I donā€™t think theyā€™re sounded the same since.

Iā€™m currently in search of new speakers and Iā€™ve quickly been reminded of home demo importance. I could have wasted my money twice in the past month. On third pair now :crossed_fingers: