The Grand Cafe

I think if I asked my wife if she wanted cream on it she would take it as sarcasm :joy:

1 Like

Making it with milk results in very stodgy porridge and itā€™s liable to burn to the pan. The easy way is with water and a pinch of salt, it doesnā€™t burn nearly so easily, add a bit of cold milk (Channel Island?) and possibly brown sugar once itā€™s in the bowl. This doesnā€™t sit so heavy on the stomach. A drop of Laphraoig just before serving makes a nice variation.

I expect your wife wonā€™t agree however.

3 Likes

I love porridge with honey and milk, itā€™s how I normally start my day.

3 Likes

I never understood porridge. Might as well boil up the cardboard box it came in. Whatever you do, you have to disguise the taste with sugar or honey or treacle or something. Anything, I guess.

Not in the porridge itself, presumably, but as a way of fortifying your courage before eating it.

1 Like

Well thatā€™s not true at all, having honey on porridge is no different than sugar in tea or salt on hot chips. Itā€™s all just a matter of taste amd preference.

No in the porridge, but not a whole dram, just a drop or two, you donā€™t give the alcohol a chance to boil off so donā€™t over do it.
I had some in a hip flask and no opportunity to finish it in the following week, I forget why, I donā€™t keep whisky in a flask for longer, nor does it go back in the bottle so some when in the porridge and I liked the touch of peatiness with the oatmeal. Rather extravagant in the normal run of things.

Well - except tea and chips have a (nice) flavour - which canā€™t be said of porridge.

Well, I guess putting pretty much anything into porridge will improve it. But Laphroaig! It doesnā€™t deserve such ill treatment.

Yes I make it the way Iā€™m told.

Every single day porridge, this is what we get here in the Netherlands:

Iā€™ve never been tempted to eat it in the UK though. In hotels the have large pots with fresh porridge, but it does not look so appealing.

Good suggestion, will try it and prepare myself for a debate about alcoholism with my wife :slight_smile:

1 Like

Sensible man.

1 Like

Dittoā€¦ though I have a spoon of Jam to help it a little. :slight_smile:
Cardio/Physio guy said this was the best thing for breakfast.
Best porridge Iā€™ve had was in a small hotel in Scotland with a dash of malt (whiskey).

I dope steel cut oats with hemp hearts, flax and pumpkin seeds along with frozen berries. Buttermilk, unless Iā€™m out of it, then I use cream.

In summertime, same ingredients in overnight oats but with milk.

Unsure which I prefer but all supposedly good for you.

1 Like

Maple syrup works well for us :grinning:

1 Like

As the various marketing boards tell us.

I hear ya but lots of nutritionists on board as well.

I recall a friend telling me that his baby daughter had bad eczema. They tried lots of different creams, put gloves on the childs hands to stop them scratching but nothing seemed to improve the problem.
Then someone recommended giving the girl a bath which had a good sprinkling of Oats in it - and amazingly it worked, it stopped the itching / scratching and cleared up in a few weeks of daily use.

It used to be made with water and then eaten with Jersey milk and a big spoonful of Golden Syrup when I was a kid.

1 Like