The Grand Cafe

You and me both !

Working in Base 11 and 13 is no joke for some of us. It’s almost 60 years since I was at school doing arithmetic !

As I said elsewhere, it’s quite easy to use Base 8 (pints and gallons), Base 12 and Base 20 (Pounds, Shillings and Pence here in the UK). We can even cope with Guineas !

But Base 11 and Base 13 … ?? (Perhaps a Baker’s Dozen ?)

1 Like

Hope you guys (UK) are enjoying your freedom and finally being able to have a beer with friends.

1 Like

We’ve been (legally) allowed to meet with friends in private gardens, with up to six people - eg three couples, for quite some time. This hasn’t changed.

But now (ie since yesterday) we can meet at the pup, or restaurant. But again, only outside with table service.

It snowed yesterday !

3 Likes

I’m just out with grandkids and kids having dinner freedom is wonderful

1 Like

We restarted our full flight training programme yesterday. This is mainly for recreational ie Private Pilot Licences.

Since the start of January we had been limited to training for professional licences only - and there’s not a great demand for new airline pilots these days !!!

2 Likes

This is what’s been keeping Mrs Pete and I busy for the last 6 days. I’ve been in bed at 8.30 worn out.

3 Likes

You’ll need a months holiday, but there’s all that interior painting waiting for you :scream:

1 Like

No I’ve engaged a painter. He starts in a month or so. :grin:

1 Like

I thought you were married?

1 Like

Us Aussies are pretty free spirited you know.

The outside of our house needs painting, it’s all timber weather boards and timber joinery - 18 windows / large doors, and the front is double storey. I did it myself about 12 years ago, I think it was about 6 - 8 solid weeks of work whilst Miss Mike was a bubba.

I’ve just started a large door and window that need doing before winter and are currently planning to do the whole house over a few stages during the year. But having trade painters is very tempting, though it won’t be cheap and I haven’t been able to find anyone interested yet (trades are like hens teeth here with the house building boom).

2 Likes

I got the same guy to do outside last year. I’m too old to climb up and down ladders plus Mrs Pete thinks I’m too clumsy as well. Apparently old men and ladders don’t mix.

2 Likes

Does he fancy a working holiday to NZ?

1 Like

Aussies becoming wimps? :smile: 66 year old here up on the roof replacing some tiles last week. Although to be fair its was just the single story extension. I’ve now wimped out with replacing a length of lead guttering along the high roof though. Mrs Bruss is pleased I’ve seen sense.

1 Like

We had a guy painting the outside of our house 2.5 years ago. He was around for over a month, starting before 8am finishing after 5pm. Was nice to see a good pro working. He made a quite detailed proposal and more than 50% of his time were preparations like removing the old paint and fixing small damage.

1 Like

The back of our house is the equivalent to 3 stories and some of our internal walls are 4 meters. Mrs Pete is not happy about me working at those heights. Old men and ladders are the cause of many accidents.

1 Like

Apologies, I was micky taking. You are entirely right and As Mrs Bruss often points out, I am a fool for not accepting my increasing older age.

2 Likes

I’ve found your courage changes with age. 14 years ago I was up on our roof doing some work and replacing the TV aerial; okay I was a bit nervous but I did it. Then, 4 years ago, something else needed doing up their and I got to the top of the ladder with my right leg reaching for the roof and then chickened out!

1 Like

No need I’d like to do it but to be honest I don’t trust myself.

I was never that comfortable with heights even when I was young.