The Grand Cafe

I too had decided not to watch the final, but the wife told me she was recording it. So, I thought, I’ll watch for a bit, then listen to some music.

Almost six hours later, I was so grateful I had decided to watch this wonderful match.

2 Likes

No, “I” is correct, not “me”. The full sentence should be “others are older than I [am]” or “…older than [am] I”, “am” being understood and commonly dropped for that reason.

4 Likes

It would be so much more helpful if they played UK afternoon times😉

Perhaps they are both right.

SIR: Please settle a dispute. In making a comparison between two people, which is correct, “He is older than me” or “He is older than I”?

ANSWER: Here’s a dispute that’s been going on for many years, and no doubt will continue for many more. But I can give you an answer. Are you ready?Either version is correct, and I can even quote an authority.

The controversy has been over whether “than” is serving as a preposition or a conjunction. If it’s a preposition, “than me” is correct, because “me” is the object of the preposition. But if it’s a conjunction, “than I” is correct, because “I” is the subject of an understood verb: “He is older than I am.”

1 Like

It seems they delayed the start as much as possible (for Western consumption?) and it finished pretty late Melbourne time.

1 Like

Dory Previn knew

1 Like

I was just kidding……great match and was not expecting it.

1 Like

Yes, it was a pleasure to watch.

I didn’t need to watch it. I got it aurally anyway from my boss: “Come on Raffa! Oh no!..…Yes!! David my glass is empty again. Arghh!!..…Yes. Come on Raffa!!”

Re the tennis what did you guys think of the crowd behaviour. Opinion is split here, some seemed to have enjoyed it while others thought it was disrespectful. Me, I didn’t mind it they were always going to be on Rafa’s side and if the Russian wants crowd support maybe he should try being a nicer person, he certainly came across as a bit of a dckwit and blowing up at one of the ball kids is always going get the crowd off side.

As for Ash Barty think she’s the perfect player and of course a home favourite.

I guess if all tournaments were exactly the same it would be bad for the sport and should reflect the host country in some way………a long winded way of saying not exactly Wimbledon……but the lead up shenanigans was very tense. Tennis won on the day.

Agree re the lead up it turned me off, I was only going to watch Ash.

Did you notice there were no lines persons and no challenges everything was electronic.

Yes, i guess it is inevitable and probably fairer……but i am a bit old school and like seeing the line judges do their job.

Exchanged deeds today, the burnt out commercial property is officially now ours. :scream:

10 Likes

Nice one. Upwards and onwards.

1 Like

The only problem with cooking for one is you have to clean up afterwards. It always reminds of a photo Dan_steel posted of his kitchen when his wife was away for a week or so. I do miss Dan.

2 Likes

Just when you thought you were having a bad day, spare a thought for poor Mark Zackerberg who lost almost 30 billion over night. Apparently the poor bugger is now only worth 85 billion, poor thing.

5 Likes

Yeah the poor bugger

How about he gives us a couple of million each from what he has left :grinning:

1 Like

Better still he should give all naim forum members a couple of million each

He wouldn’t miss it

Then I’ll give mine to charity

1 Like

There is one spot in the house where we have this:

Not sure yet what to do yet. I’m going to remove all the stuc anyhow.