The Grand Cafe

Is the floor solid or timber? (I assume the wall is solid.) If no timber then solving is less pressing.

1 Like

IB, it’s in the extension and unlike the real house, it’s a concrete floor. Behind the radiator is old drywall which is unaffected. As far as I can see, this is the only type of drywall which seems to soak up the water.

Good old rising damp, might be worth checking the exterior inc downpipes, gutters , shrubs etc as this can contribute. Probably a poor damp course on the extension though.

1 Like

You may well be on the money, this is the outside:

There is a downpipe too.

1 Like

Right! You need to remove the ivy and inspect all the downpipes and drains - what does it drain in to? Might be just a French drain / soak-away which wouldn’t help. Also maybe remove that raised planter and let as much air in as possible around the area.

2 Likes

Good advice there. Depending on what you find, also see if you can deflect any water away from the wall and improve the soakage - the pavers looks blocked up with debris.

1 Like

This part of the garden gets stripped late 2022.

I need to keep the Ivy, but I can prune it seriously.

The stuc is removed, but I was finished too late to get some Knauf stuff to fix the wall. A task for next week. There is some time pressure since our floor gets done in 3 weeks time. It’s an oak floor which gets renovated.

Dry out the wall and paint the affected area with an oil based sealer before repainting.

1 Like

Has the happy hour started?

Happy hour! I’ve not even had breakfast yet. Anyway as you get older just knowing you’ve woken up is reason enough to be happy. :grin:

How’s those long hours at work, hope you’re taking time out to enjoy life.

5 Likes

What a title. Never trust old English music.

1 Like

Or perhaps do not trust that the meaning of a word has changed over time

1 Like

In a few weeks time the floor will be fixed. Then the new fireplace is really ready.

11 Likes

I’m surprised it sits on a timber floor

1 Like

It doesn’t. I got the foundation adjusted. It is placed on its own foundation. A photo before it got installed - doesn’t show the bricks below it, but you get the idea:

3 Likes

@Bevo did you watch the France v Ireland game, great game.

No I didn’t who won ?

I’m watching the replay on Stan, unfortunately I made the mistake of looking at the 6 Nations thread earlier. I’ve got 20 minutes to go, France in front and they do go on to win. It shows their win against the ABs last year wasn’t a fluke and they’re in good shape for next years WC.

1 Like

I would like them to win World Cup good for rugby IMO

1 Like

Agree, I’ll be happy if it’s anyone other than the ABs or England.