The Grand Cafe

Pete, sadly I’m not based at the factory anymore and haven’t conducted a factory tour in many years.

1 Like

That’s a shame, I probably owe you a drink. :grin:

@Pete_the_painter inspired me to spin some CDs. I’m using my Cambridge UHD 4K Blu-ray player as a transport. Earlier this year, I swapped the optical sound output to the NDX2 to coaxial, for sound from movies and concert Blu-rays, bypassing the optical output from the TV. This gave a good uplift in sound quality. When I last played CDs from the Bluray, using the coaxial out, it was very good - matching a Core rip.

Anyway, two Important discoveries today. The UHD has an HDMI input. So it occurred to me to plug the Apple TV into the UHD, keep the video output to the TV, but divert the sound output direct to the NDX2 using the coaxial output. Boom, this was instantly better sound from Netflix and YouTube - a rare free upgrade!

Second, when doing some research of reviews for the UHD, I found that it plays SACD. So, I’m going to grab DSOTM, Wish you were here and Waters Amused to Death, to give this format a go. Fun times.

3 Likes

I’m using coaxial, just waiting for Harry to send me a attachment so I can use my DC1 cable.

I found that connecting everything to the tv and then sending it all to the amp sounded better than using the amp.

1 Like

I’m yet to have another list to DSOM since my disappointment with vinyl I’d bought. Might give the hi res version a play later tonight.

1 Like

Just be careful. If I remember correctly, the SACD format requires the onboard DAC to decode the disc, it’s a form of protection. If you output the digital signal to the NDX-2 you might only get 16/44. You might need a device with a HDMI input to get the benefit of SACD.

1 Like

With a playlist like that Mike are sure you haven’t hooked up with a different kinda dealer. :grin:

3 Likes

Hm, interesting thanks. The manual says it plays SACD discs and the player has no DAC, just the HDMI outputs and optical and coaxial audio outputs.

Now, researching the actual albums is confusing too. There are “Hybrid SACD” and some of the versions seem to Blu-ray and not SACD. So, I’m not too sure which to get….

The UK is currently bullsh t free, you might need customs clearance😄

1 Like

Gazza your post confirms that the post it’s true.:rofl::rofl:

Bull sht is never in short supply, however it’s harder to get away with now as every Tom Dck and Harry’s got Google.

1 Like

@Pete_the_painter

Goodness me guys - with all this talk about CDs and CD transports you might see the light and flog your streamers :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Too many rabbit holes. At this rate, it will be a black vortex.

I’m not surrendering anything. It’s about time you help Harry and bought a streamer.

Warning time.

SACD players must use the on-board DACs , I spent ages finding this out

The exceptions to the rule are (I believe) Sony players .

This version of DSOTM was recommended on the forum, seriously expensive - but a Japanese import in UK . If you notice the cover is slightly different

Screenshot 2022-08-07 at 09.32.29

1 Like

I’ve just be reading a few threads on this. It seems that you can output SACD digital audio on HDMI, but not optical or coaxial. I can get HDMI to the TV, but only optical out from the TV. I might abandon the SACD plan, and try those albums as hi-res WAV downloads instead.

Thanks for the heads up.

What about the PS Audio PerfectWave SACD Transport?

This seems to output the raw DSD stream.

And probably costs a bomb. :grin:

1 Like

Oh yes! :wink:

Fortunately, I have the fancy one on vinyl.

Is it an HDMI output though? Not much use for a Naim streamer?

1 Like