The Grand Cafe

A quick-ish update. I’ve ruled out using an Auralic or Lumin transport, as they don’t have Airplay2 - though Airplay doesn’t seem to behave to well anyway. I’ve also decided that I want a Naim streamer so I can multi-room from my NDX2 (movies and Qobuz).

So, if I’m using the A60, that leaves using the Uniti2 as a streamer - it has a line-out, so it could be hook up to the A60. Otherwise, only the ND5 XS2 makes sense as an alternative older generation ND5 XS or NDX isn’t really adding much over the Uniti2 as a streamer. But the ND5 XS2 is $5K on a current sale here, which is a bit much really, if I moved the Uniti2 on for maybe $2.5K, that’s still an extra $2.5K. I’m going to try the Uniti2 as a streamer into the A60, and if that’s promising, I’ll get the A60 recapped and set it up with the Uniti2 and the Arcam CD player. That leaves the door open for a used ND5 XS2 later on.

I’ve also realized that I can use my spare Heed DAC of the digital output from the NDX2 into the Heed headphone system. So, I’ll try that, as there might be some nice synergy there as a headphone system.

This would utilise most of the spare gear and the only cost would be the A60 recap.

1 Like

How will you multi room movies?

1 Like

Just the audio Pete. My ATV outputs to my Blu-ray player with video to the TV and audio to the NDX2 via a coaxial output. The TV also sends sound to the NDX2 via an optical output. Then I can multi-room the audio to the Uniti2 through the Naim app. But you do get a lip sync delay, as I mentioned on the Apple thread.

Are you sure that the A60 is a better amp than the Uniti2? I’d be surprised if it is, lovely though the A60 was.

1 Like

Ah that makes sense, trying for the video as well won’t work. Your system keeps growing you’ll end up with more boxes than some dealers. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

I’m fairly certain the Uniti2 is better, as I compared them before. It was more about having a vintage system and using spare gear. But I could have both set up for a bit of fun.

I actually already have all that gear, I’m just trying to use it. I could sell the lot and grab a used Star that is for sale here and use that in place of the Uniti2. Better functionality, but I image there’s not too much in the sound quality.

2 Likes

A star would be a nice upgrade, I noticed the difference when I traded my old Uniti 2 for the Atom. Made using multi room much easier.

Just listening to Pink Floyd’s Animal Remix (196/24), excellent remix.

2 Likes

Yes……

Nah - rubbish :grinning:

Multirooming with a ND555 and a MuSo QB was great for audio when moving around the house but if I forget to deactivate multiroom and use the ND for TV sound the lip sync is way off.

1 Like

3 Likes

Morning/evening @Ardbeg10y you seem to be in darkness, on purpose or a power cut? Also it looks like you’re expecting a parade.

1 Like

Morning Pete. I’m looking for courage to move upstairs and go for a sleep. The lights were turned off since I’ve an app for it. I love the view of this position. The light comes from the kitchen and gives a nice effect.

2 Likes

Sleep well, when you wake it’ll be Saturday and hopefully a rest day.

1 Like

Granddaughter #2 set off on an around a Australia with her partner a few months ago. She went north to the York Peninsula first and they have managed to get themselves bogged a few times and broken down miles from help fortunately they’ve been able to get assistance so far. Our eldest son caught up with them in Cains a few weeks ago and was so concerned he and his wife bought them a GPS tracker.

They started off heading west and now the ute has died in a small town in Qld called Chaters Towers, they’ve just been told that the main pc board is rat sht and it’s a 2 mouth wait on parts. It was apparently damaged when they got bogged early.

I’m now on standby for the 19 hour (1459km one way) drive to pick them up.

1 Like

Get going Pete

Outback Aus can be somewhat creepy in places although CharterTowers ok

Can’t they get a small plane flight out to Brisbane and then home ?

Flights are really difficult at present and extremely expensive plus they’re got a ute full of stuff and no cases. She’s going to make the call later today, they’re thinking they may stay and work while they wait but she sounded so distressed.

Well if they can get jobs for a couple of months that’s probably the best option, the time should fly by much faster

In years gone by I’ve driven accross the Nullarbor and around WA plus parts of inner QLD and was always worried something would go wrong with car, takes a bit of the fun out of it

1 Like

The kids just got great news, they’ve been able to steal the necessary part from a wrecked Toyota and they’ll be back on the road by the end of the week. Don’t you love bush mechanics.

8 Likes