The Grand Cafe

That looks as a great car Pete. How many kangaroos or more importantly shopping bags would fit in?

Kangaroos, Iā€™m just hoping I donā€™t hit any of them. They do make a habit of jumping out in front of you at night.

As for the car Iā€™m hoping itā€™ll keep Mrs Pete safe on our less than perfect country roads. She travels to Sydney regularly to babysit.

2 Likes

@Bevo sorry brought you rather than bore folk with the same post. They sound fantastic straight out of the box, thereā€™s a bigger sound stage and their a lot faster than my old Royds. They can only get better.

1 Like

Good to hear Pete - happy for you

Yes, itā€™s really ice when a plan comes together, especially with the challenges we have with demos. Iā€™m always amazed with what a great pair of smaller two-way speakers can achieve,

1 Like

I didnā€™t get a chance to listen to these before and because Harry ordered them in especially for me I was worried I wouldnā€™t like them. I felt I couldnā€™t return them, but youā€™d have to fight me to get them out of my room.

It is nice when it works out.

Whatā€™s the CD player like in the Star.

1 Like

Iā€™ve only tried it once and it was fine. Iā€™ll run an A/B with streaming a rip of the same CD.

1 Like

We had kids staying at our place this weekend. No second silence. Now Iā€™ve headache.

Waiting for colleagues to do their work all day difficult to stay calm.

Lunch break.

2 Likes

Good to see people still working, someone has to hold up the economy.

2 Likes

:zipper_mouth_face:

1 Like

Late to topic but my contribution is this: brine your bird overnight. Take out of brine first thing, put back into fridge for a couple hours to dry the skin. Remove from fridge to come to room temp, then cook at 80 degrees for 5 hours. This is one of Mathew Fortā€™s recipes, whose a big fan of low and slow.

No problems with bacteria, toxins should not be a problem if the bird is properly sourced, and the brining imparts terrific flavour. My stock brine has garlic, lemon and herbs to flavour with brown sugar to aid browning.

Do you add any fat or oil to the baking dish?

(Sorry to butt in but Iā€™m curious).

No, not necessary. But if you like you can rub the skin with olive oil or butter.

1 Like

and the bird?

1 Like

Chicken, turkeys, Guinea fowl, etc.
I also brine pork and cook low and slow.

@Mike_S hows your new setup going, like your new speakers?

1 Like

Yes, Iā€™m really pleased with them thanks, sound way better than you would think for the small size with surprisingly deep and tight bass, and the usual Totem strength of imaging and natural presentation. Iā€™ve left them running to play in, so they have about 25 hrs on them. They need 70 - 100 hrs supposedly. Got told off by Mrs Mike for wasting powerā€¦

Iā€™ve moved them slightly and then centred the pool table between them, as I wasnā€™t happy with the right speaker firing into the table. I had thought of getting higher stands to raise them above the table, but then you hit them with the pool cues. I did a test and couldnā€™t hear much different with the two height options (stands are 51 cm and I tried the 80 cm shelves). I think Iā€™ll leave them on the stands now:

I set up the Star in the Fraim to try running it off the 250 DR only to discover that I didnā€™t have the right cable for it, and have moved it back now. Iā€™ll be playing records on the 252 until the NDX2 come back. But I did discover that I have a Powerline on my sub, so I might swap that onto the Star.

You sound really happy with the neats too?

3 Likes

Yep, and theyā€™re connected to my 27 year old original speaker cables as my SLā€™s arenā€™t long enough. Hoping the new Spectreā€™s that Iā€™ve ordered will be here soon. Between a better cable and running them in they will just get better.

1 Like

Let me know how you go with the Spectre cable Pete as may well suit system here in highlands - only need 3.5 metre lengths

If better than A5 then will need 6 metre lengths in Balmain

Cheers

1 Like

@Bevo will be proud, Iā€™m going the crackle and pop, 1980ā€™s Rega Planar 3 smashing it through a 252/250.

6 Likes