The Grand Cafe

Not me , I’ve got one

He did have a spare earlier in year but it’s since been grabbed

Do you want one ?

How much do they usually go for?

And can I have yours?

1 Like

Staying at our eldest son’s babysitting while they have a weekend away however in between arranging the weekend and now they decide to sell their house.

Place is staged within an inch of its life, every time I get from the couch I have carefully rearrange a dozen cushions. I got in trouble for using too much soap having a shower this morning. We’re now tidying up for an open house at midday with at least 20 groups booked in.

On the plus side I had to move his BMW M3, I have to date declined to drive it but I thought what the heck I’ve already got to move it. God it’s quick I wouldn’t have a license by the end of the week if I owned it.

1 Like

Probably circa $1k- $1.5k these days , they occasionally come up on stereonet Aus/NZ

Ring Harry he might be able to locate one for you - imo they are an absolute bargain

But don’t rush in, you never know what I might do next year but don’t get your hopes up. I’ll have a look at couple of sites for you

Harry just replaced the fascia on mine as original had gone purple

I can’t see Naim ever producing a stand-alone DAC into the future but I’m usually wrong in my predictions

I’d pay that, run my cd transport through it. Does it really need a separate power supply.

Well I started off with the CD5XS as a stand-alone in my second system. That player is pretty dam good as is

Then added the nDAC - huge improvement , blew me away quite a bit

Then added Harry’s ex demo XPS-2 , again gives a more solid presentation overall. But in your case I really don’t believe it would be necessary but it is an improvement

If you wanted to add PS best just to find a good secondhand XPS-2 , wouldn’t go down the road of expensive XPSDR

The CD5XS/nDAC is a classic combination

I’ve got a Audiolab transport, it gets great reviews I’m not changing that any time soon. If I did get the nDAC the trouble is, do I add a power supply, I’ll need a decent power cable and connection cable plus at least 1 Fraim level (2 if I get a PS). There’s a couple grand at least.

Well that’s as good as a stand alone dac. I don’t get that though as all Naim streams are by nature a dac.

Audiolab cd transport is excellent , mate of mine has one

Bargain of the century if you ask me

He uses it with that Gieseler Kompakt DAC I mentioned on a thread elsewhere. It sounds great , it’s a great little DAC but I suspect nDAC would be better but I’ve never compared mine side by side

Good thing about the Kompakt is that it small and can be hidden away

And doesn’t require all the extras I mentioned. Just thought I’d like a different sound when using the transport. Playing it through the NDX2 is almost the same as playing it via my Core, it’s the same dac.

If you went the Gieseler Kompakt way you could contact Clayton Gieseler and he may build you one , he’s a really decent guy to deal with, a real perfectionist

You back into playing quite a few CD’s now Pete?

Every now and then think it’s that physical thing of touching, but also some CDs for some unexplained reason sound better than a rip. That’s why I might consider a different dac.

The ex NZ naim distributor had a nDAC a while back but it’s been snapped up

Yes Harry and I have this discussion quite often re CD and streaming

There’s not much between them and it doesn’t seem consistent. I streamed Neil Young’s Harvest in 24/196 (Oqbuz) the other day and it was brilliant, so much better than my bog standard cd.

Do you think the CD transport through an nDAC is better than putting it through your XPS/NDX2, or are you after a different presentation. A few have come up here recently, but go pretty quick. I can keep an eye out for you if you like.

Yeah well I’m the goose in this department - if I had just kept the CD555 we wouldn’t be having this discussion :weary::weary:

Biggest regret in my Naim journey

Guess it’s not better I’m after just different.

And if I’d bought your stack from Harry I wouldn’t be having these thoughts.

Ha ha - but I still think I’m a bigger goose than you :+1: