The Grand Cafe

Thats a tough call Pete……very sad…….sure you can cheer them a little ,happy new year and hope your build goes well👍

3 Likes

I’ve done that a few times, however mine would be to make sure I have oven mitts on before removing a baking dish. Did that about 15 years ago and still got the scares to remind me. Luckily one of our dinner guests was a nurse.

1 Like

Gazza he’d been ill for awhile but was expected to last a few months, they let him out of hospital on Christmas Eve. Guess it was better he passed away with his family.

3 Likes

Ouch!! I once discovered a rip in the heatproofing of an oven mitt when lifting a large Le Creuset casserole dish full of oxtail soup (still with the bones in) and had to decide whether to risk breaking both feet dropping it or risk losing a finger pad with the searing heat. I think I hold the world record for the fastest cross-kitchen sprint while holding a bl**dy heavy cast iron pot and swearing creatively. Yours sounds much worse, mine just took a pack of frozen veg and some medicinal Burgundy to cure.

4 Likes

Better that way……wife’s mother died before Xmas……looking like mid to end of February for the service and cremation. Lack of pathologists, coroners……

2 Likes

Mrs bought a bright orange pair that she sticks on the oven door handle to remind me.

Hope you’re out of hospital soon and back home.

2 Likes

Our log burner has a gold handle……looks the same cold or excruciatingly hot……only done once😬

1 Like

I feel for you both Gazza.

1 Like

Thanks Pete.

1 Like

Very hard outcome, but I think that is a pretty good way to end things - being with family and at Christmas celebrating the cycle of life.

2 Likes

Me too it definitely beats the alternative, think the family as feel the same. Still it’s a bit of a shock he was only 60 and my friends only sibling.

2 Likes

Hope you guys have a great new year Mike and you get plenty of time to listen to your new gear. :+1:

3 Likes

You too Pete. We’re having a quiet one, after having family here since Christmas Eve, they just left yesterday. It was the first time in 6 years that us 3 brothers and mum were together (last time was her 80th and the 85th had to be cancelled). Mum took the opportunity to make a “grand pronouncement” detailing her wishes for passing on her various heirlooms etc, thanking us all and detailing her funeral and inheritance wishes. It was quite emotional, but good on her for doing that now whilst we were all together. She is not done with life yet though.

5 Likes

I can imagine that was very poignant Mike, enjoy your quieter time today/tonight.

3 Likes

Mrs Pete’s mother did that a couple of months ago on her birthday (Mrs Pete’s). Kind of ruined her birthday and what made it worse was she gave her a gold chain and said she wouldn’t make Christmas. She did.

Think when I feel like that I might just walk off into the bush and go to sleep.

2 Likes

Happy new year

PS it is only 10pm

3 Likes

From the clarity of the picture your hand seems remarkably steady Pete. :grinning:

Still got an hour and a half till midnight

1 Like

Preparing our traditional St Sylvester ‘oliebollen’:

You’re going to have to tell me what that is, it looks like you’re washing your tea towels.