The Grand Cafe

Yes agree Pete

The issue as I see it ( not that I know much at all re streamers so surmising here)

The technology is still developing so the life cycle of each product that has come to the market before the current ones was circa 5 years.

The current ones such as nd5xs2 and ndx2 came to market in 2018 - we are now at 2023 and who knows how long these ones will last , I might be wrong but perhaps another 1-2 years and then the replacements appear

So I think some way to go before the life cycle of streamers hit say 10 years plus - maybe the next ones to market will do that

I know streamers are different to preamps and amps but hasnā€™t it been great to see how long the 282, 252 , XPSDR etc have lasted - over 20 years , what products they are

I think a 3 series streaming amp then the analog per amps and power amps next. Thereā€™s almost certainly going to be a reduction in the number of pre amps and power supplies.

1 Like

Yep

Iā€™m just trying to look ahead and put my hard earned money on a streamer that will go the 10 year distance because after that Iā€™ll be a dribbling mess anyway :crazy_face:

Iā€™ll get the s***s if itā€™s replaced after 5 years at those prices

I think that the streaming technology is actually pretty well evolved, The current streamers are well future proofed for on-line streaming through software updates (which is a click and go using the app and the internet). I would expect my Star, Nova and NDX2 to be pretty permanent in my set ups. A ND555 at a great price in the future, if the retirement pot is robust is the only thing that would interest me.

I also donā€™t see the new gear as value for money against good used classic models, If I was starting on the journey, Iā€™d go either for the new range for simplification, or go on the easiest path to a high-end classic system with second hand gear.

3 Likes

I was thinking more about the ingredients inside the streamer box Mike

Surely over time items such as the dac and design layout and different components etc will have the opportunity to improve SQ

1 Like

Iā€™m just discussing that on another thread there comes a point where you canā€™t improve SQ. It either sounds like music or it doesnā€™t beyond that imo itā€™s just false.

4 Likes

The problem is itā€™s just an opinion as none of us were there when it was recorded and mixedā€¦ā€¦so do not know how it really sounded. So i just go with i like A over Bā€¦ā€¦cos i do?

Good morning Gazza, trust you to turn up with logic. :rofl::rofl:

I guess what youā€™re say is true but youā€™d have to believe that we aim to get to is as close as it was meant to sound when it was recorded.

1 Like

As I have just stated, on another thread.
I think, possibly what you are describing is the ATC sound. ATC heritage is in the professional market. Hence, why a lot of owners find the sound to be more of a live/studio sound, than a, if there is such, a hi-fi sound. In contrast to that, ATC speakers are ruthless in revealing poor recordings and mastering. However, when the recording or live feed is right, ATC take you to a centre, third row seat. You makes your choice :blush:

2 Likes

Your ATCā€™s obviously have their own sound which is something else to consider. Iā€™ve not heard them so Iā€™m not sure what they sound like but my Neats just disappear. I didnā€™t particularly want a speaker that adds additional colour although Iā€™m sure they all do in one way or another.

1 Like

It is just so subjective, when trying to describe what a speaker sounds like. There are so many variables involved and letā€™s face it, you cannot hear all the speakers in the world :blush:

1 Like

No you canā€™t and if you did youā€™d just end up confused. Re your comment about bad recording Iā€™ve always thought that a Naim quality as well. Their pre amp have no tone or loudness buttons so thereā€™s nowhere to hide.

2 Likes

So very true. I some people buy speakers that are kind to poor recordings, but I wonder what the trade off is to good recordings? I bet someone on the forum will know of a speaker that is outstanding to both :blush:

1 Like

No not really theyā€™ll all say itā€™s the one they own. :rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

My friends just rang to say that heā€™s at Harryā€™s he thinks his going to be in a lot of trouble when he gets back home. Wants to know if Iā€™m happy to share the blame. :grin:

2 Likes

No sharing - itā€™s all your fault :grinning::grinning:

You could probably share some useful strategiesā€¦.

Girls are out. Just had some epic hard rock to check the bass out on the new boxes. Got the floor rumbling :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Like nodding my head in agreement and turning the volume up. :grin:

2 Likes

Disgusting behaviour from you too @Pete_the_painter