The Grand Cafe

You are screwing the artists by just streaming you miser ha :crazy_face::crazy_face::crazy_face:

No you pay the streaming service and they pay them admittedly they don’t pay them what they’re worth. But the get nothing when their music is sold in the second market.

1 Like

It would be great to know how much artists get paid for each format

. Streaming - maybe not correct but read somewhere they get $1 for circa 300 hits

. CD - no idea

. Vinyl - no idea

From what I understand money is in touring and all the add ons these days

So much music pass hands either by friends opp shops etc it’d be hard to work out.

I do agree re price of vinyl , somewhat over the top currently

I was in Redeye today and purchased a jazz album by Blue Mitchell and artists ( he played in band with John Mayall in early 70’s)

Haven’t played it yet but label/ remaster recommended on this forum

It was $65 but I wanted it

However redeye was full of young guys and gals purchasing vinyl at $40/$50 upwards. I mumbled to myself how the hell can they afford that, some of them had 5 albums tucked under their arms

Beats me

1 Like

And some of them will be playing them on turntables they got from JB Hi Fi. :grin:

1 Like

Yes that’s what is happening - nuts

2 Likes

I have vinyl that I purchased 40 years ago, some still have the price sticker, $18.99. Wonder what that would be in todays money. If it’s something that gives pleasure and not bad for the health I would say $65 is a bargain :grinning:

Yep I tend to agree Darkside

Having said that I have albums from 40 years ago at about $8-$10 and they still sound great

Inflation over 40 years would take both our examples well over the $65 mark for sure

It’s just that other formats have become far cheaper , streaming whilst not having been around that long is the cheapest example

Here in Australia I remember when CDs were $30-$35, they are now $20

1 Like

When I was buying CDs in the early to mid 90s it wasn’t uncommon to pay $40.

1 Like

Yep

One day everyone will be squawking “ streaming is far too expensive “ ha :grin::grin:

Still, gotta love the tactile experience you get from vinyl. I know its not for everyone but if we were all the same it would be a boring old world.

1 Like

Indeed Darkside with you on that one :+1:

In hindsight I would’ve kept my TT and vinyl but now it’s just too expensive to setup again from scratch. Oddly enough some people that enjoy playing CDs talk about the physical connection as well.

2 Likes

Yep I play CD’s all the time

Mate of mine has the 3 formats - probably uses vinyl 20% and CD’s and streaming split 40% each

When I set the Rega up on the platform I discovered that the top of the cresendza was quite a bit off level. Now that I have fixed that, it will be interesting to see if it sounds different. Too late now, and Mrs Mike is in bed sick, so best not disturb her.

1 Like

See it’s a work in progress. Least you’ve worked out. As an engineer I thought you would’ve checked that out earlier.

It’s too hard to level the crescenda :sunglasses:. Actually, now I remember having to adjust the Fraim base when I set it up to be level as well. They are both a matter of adjusting the length of the spikes.

If Naim ever decided to manufacture a CDP of say CDS3 level I’d be the first in line

Still my CD5XS/nDAC/XPS-2 combo sounds rather fine I must admit

Apparently the CD555 was pretty good. Something to aspire to