The Grand Cafe

Oh Crap! Well I hope your games room makes it thru okay. If we had anywhere near that much rain, we’d be in trouble too.
All the best, Mike.

1 Like

Stay safe you lot down there!:sunglasses:

1 Like

Hope not too much rain tonight for you and family Mike

As an aside to purchasing the NDX2, it’s going to be very interesting in determining what gives the better SQ for the CD5XS

Use as transport straight into the NDX2 or continue to use the CD5XS/nDAC combo

I haven’t come accross thread that mentions this comparison so will report back in due course

Cheers

1 Like

New Zealand is a pluvial nation. And Auckland is very prone to the odd shower. I live on a river plain near Wellington in the Hutt Valley and without the levies we have bordering the Hutt river, we would be inundated twice a year.

1 Like

I remember watching the horrific Wahine tragedy on black and white TV IDAK stuck in the waters just outside Wellington harbour

I think from memory 50 odd passengers lost their lives but may have the number wrong

I remember going on the passenger ship on that strait on a Sunday evening as weather so bad all flights cancelled between south and north island - it took so many hours eventually reaching Wellington about 2am - and work next morning !!

1 Like

I remember April 10 1968 very well. I was 8 when that tropical storm hit Wellington. I was only one of 2 kids who made it to school that day,parents were quite strict! As you say, 51 deaths from drowning. In retrospect they should have stayed on the ship as it never sank.

4 Likes

Well IDAK - one thing I’ve just learnt from your post - I’m 10 years older than you ha :smiley::grin:

And still going strong I might add for a guy from Ashburton originally ( or affectionally know as AshVegas)

3 Likes

Yes, thank God for levies. The Mississippi River apparently has levies at many points and would be lethal without them.
But I imagine where you live is a heck of a lot prettier than where I live. We don’t get any terrible climate issues (hot, cold or wet), so it’s very moderate … but so is the bloody view … :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Still seeing more bad news , hope you and the girls are OK.

1 Like

I hope Mike doesn’t reply with, “I’ll just wade over to the kitchen and check on them …”

3 Likes

Yes, there’s a bit of a lull at the moment, just regular rain. But tomorrow is forecast for 140 to 200mm of additional rain. It can be very hit and miss to who gets the worst though. Things are so water logged though, that the issue is that any heavy downpours result in flooding and slips.

2 Likes

I’ve just seen pictures on sky news, you all stay safe over there🤞

All this water must make some people want to build their homes on stlits, or raised footings. We have an old friend about 200 kms east of Toronto, and he has a really nice house about 50 feet from Lake Ontario. The sunsets are gorgeous and he has a whack of returning pet swans, all very nice.

But he has been completely flooded out, twice in the last 7 years, with 24 inches of water in his house and rebuilt both times. I doubt anyone would buy his property now.
His situation is just a little too tenuous for me, but it’s nice to visit.

The flooding had something to do with the government raising water levels, not due to rain.

2 Likes

Gazza I’ve always been trouble :grin:

1 Like

About bloody time, trust you to wait until they were discounted.

1 Like

Well spotted it was the second time and as I’m reasonably clumsy it probably won’t be the last. Carpet laying has definitely left parts of my body the worse for wear. 2 knee ops and a hip replacement for starters it really is a Gus game.

2 Likes

Hope you Kiwis are safe and hopefully it’s over. Take care.

1 Like

Happy birthday Pete. Good to see you are back, and hopefully now ignoring any talking lizards.

1 Like

Cheers. I’m just ignoring them till I’m at least safe on terra firma in future.

1 Like

I was out in the garden yesterday with a chainsaw. A robin kept pretty close to me everywhere I went and I found myself making all sorts of noises trying to communicate. Nuts.

5 Likes