The Grand Cafe

I don’t know about Australia but the Jimny is very difficult to purchase in the UK, only as a van and not a car.

On the narrow roads locally , it is a car that makes sense

best wishes

Ian

1 Like

Someone told me on the driving thread, you can still get it without rear seats which tbh aren’t much good for anyone with legs.

2 Likes

All our insurances have gone up by about 25-30% this year. Seems the norm.

1 Like

It’s funny. Can’t stand the taste of Marmite, but like the taste of Bovril.

DG…

Mine went up the same - difficult getting parts and labour costs gone up - that’s what they’ll tell you.

I managed to get mine back to a realistic number.

Then my household insurance came in £480 up to £680 via Saga (who are a broker).

Went on compare . com and what do I see in a list of quotes Saga at £460 !

Called them up (oh that is strange they say) and renewed at £20 less than last year rather than the £200 increase.

What a scam pretty much fraud but same old same old.

5 Likes

Those sorts of practices weren’t supposed to occur, where newer customers received better rates than existing customers.

1 Like

Following the great flood of December 2022, when the shower system pipes burst in the roof, the final remedial action will happen today.
The new lounge furniture, designed by me and built by my Cabinet Maker friend, is being delivered and installed TODAY!:partying_face:
It’s a week of exciting things😁

8 Likes

If you designed it post pics

2 Likes

Will do. It’s a variation on the original one I designed and had built in 2005.
I’ll post the picks this afternoon, before I start filling it with books and stuff😊

3 Likes

:+1:

1 Like

Thoughts to those in Hawaii, bush/wild fires aren’t some you usually associate with a topical climate.

5 Likes

Tomorrow the electricity in the gardenhouse, renewal of the central electricity unit (1 to 3 phase) and replacement of the gas hob to induction gets done.

Next iteration will be the solar panels.

1 Like

When I bought my first cd player I also bought 2 cds this being one of them and it has been firm favourite ever since but it is also one of the few to suffer cd rot. Late 80s early 90s the offending period.
I will buy it again when it has decent reissue but until then will stream on Qobuz and of course it’s in my iTunes library. Chanced my arm to see if it would rip.

Sad news today at his passing.

3 Likes

Love The Band. Immense contribution to music. RIP Robbie.

1 Like

Sorry @Pete_the_painter, got massively sidetracked yesterday.
Pics below of new furniture before and after populating with stuff…:wink:

The new Billy Connelly Sculpture & Book got pride of place. Self portrait yet to be hung above and new presentation cabinet for the book is yet to be built.

4 Likes

The electricity was done, but the induction job wasn’t delivered in time. Instead we got gigabit Ethernet installed everywhere. What a kerfuffle to get it done but the result is very neat. Even the veranda has electricity, Ethernet and water now.

2 says 3 man, I’m worried to check the bill once it comes …

I’ve started studying the magnificent Toccata and Fuge in F major by JS Bach. It’s a work which I’ve pushed forward many years but now it’s time. It’ll cost me between 100 an 200 hours to get it done. The issue is that it is one of those works which cannot be studied on a small organ with low volume. It requires the full organ otherwise it gets boring quickly.

The work for those not familiar with this music:

5 Likes

Hi @Simon-in-Suffolk ,

Sorry to post the question here, I don’t want to derail other topics.

I’ve replaced old utp cable and added new Belden utp cat6 cable in my house, garden house and veranda. In the central place where all the cables end I’m looking to put a nice Cisco Catalyst switch which is supposed to do the heavy lifting for the next 10 yrs or so. Is there a quality difference between the models having an internal powersupply or external powersupply?

The plan is to add second hand c9120 or c9105 wireless access points - probably overkill :slight_smile:

Thanks Ardbeg

Hi, I would say there is no quality difference… all things being equal I would go for the internal power-supply.

1 Like

I took a three year fixed home insurance offer from SAGA (at about £300) a couple of years ago, so have escaped inflation in that market for the time being.

1 Like