The Grand Cafe

Schoolboy error Pete.

In smaller communities (clubs, parishes, small charities, school parents groups, local councils…) you learn that suggesting anything (anything at all) is also automatically an offer to make it happen and you have about two seconds to deflect that without seeming a prat when someone says “Great idea now who will take the first step?” After two seconds, you are now the guy in charge of it.

You should start to think about what you say in your response to the vote of thanks afterwards for all the extraordinary efforts you made, and then work back to what you must include and, more importantly, exclude from your initial plans for the event.:+1::grinning:

4 Likes

I found that out pretty quickly but if someone isn’t willing to drive these things they never happen. Like all small rural communities we need to attract tourists and locals out of their houses and appreciate what they have also locals businesses need help to continue to grown and attract people.

3 Likes

I was running Mani 2 with my 500 system and they were excellent though I did a demo of the Element Metal V2 and that was that. The Metals are now in situ and I would like to note that the Metal V2 does not need a ‘big’ space to sound as they should. Mine are six feet apart and nine feet from where I sit. They are 18" from rear wall and 3’ feet from side walls. Room size is: 13’ x 16.5’. They sound awesome and look great. Even received my wife’s approval.

1 Like

Thanks, that’s good to know. My room is slightly smaller, but not by much and with a low ceiling at 2.05m. As it happens, there is a used pair here for sale at the moment - first time I’ve seen that.

Whatever you do, don’t put the stones on a public pavement. Some might dial the emergency number.

4 Likes

No we can’t do that anyway. Lucky there’s a common area between us and next door and it’s been fenced and we use it for storage etc.

Speaking of tripping and the public I’m always concerned about injuries. We do everything we can to minimise any risk but people are still people and that’s no accounting for stupidity. However it’s almost as bad as America now there’s lawyers waiting to attack. :grin:

Edit; just read the thread you were obviously referring to, sorry I missed that it sounded like a hoot. Read above I’m scared stuff of the odd person who makes problems when there is none. Most people will just talk it through thankfully. What’s the old saying you break make an omelette without breaking a few eggs. :grin:

1 Like

We stay in a holiday home at the moment for a few days. One of the recurring annoyances are the knifes. They are never sharp and it’s impossible to slice an onion properly.

On the good side, nobody is here off season and it’s all beautiful.

10 Likes

You’re more likely to cut yourself with blunt knife than a sharp one.

3 Likes

They say that - no idea why. I find that the opposite is true. So does my wife, after I sharpen the kitchen knives.

2 Likes

It’s because you have to exert much more force to make the knife cut, and so the chance of an uncontrolled slip is increased considerably.

5 Likes

But then, with a truly sharp knife, it takes almost no force to make a cut, and the knife slices through whatever you are cutting - including yourself - very easily. All the knife cuts I have had have been with a sharp knife.

1 Like

Most of mine have been when I’ve had to exert excess force.

Having said that one of the nastiest was with a very sharp exact knife. I was at school in art class and trying to cut through some board. I slipped and managed to cut the end of my finger off. Luckily the art teacher had been watching me cut and lunged across the table and grabbed my finger tip and finger and held on tightly to them while he rushed me to the surgery…

1 Like

This is where the rules come in place how to cut. Profi’s are trained in it and tbh I think it should be part of education rather than learning say Spanish.

Lots of yt vids around how to cut :slight_smile:

I always take my own with us.

1 Like

Knives aside, that looks beautiful! Listening to Smetana I suppose. Very tranquil, enjoy

1 Like

I went away to a cottage for a boy’s weekend a few years back and I had picked up a few loaves of nice bread, so I took my expensive, Henkels bread knife with me. When doing the dishes on the last day, the guy doing the drying didn’t know it was mine and put it in the drawer with the bunch of other crap knives. I didn’t even realize I didn’t have it immediately, and when I did I wasn’t going to drive the 200 miles back to get it, if it was even still there.
So if you take your own stuff, make sure everybody knows.

1 Like

It’s at the Lipno lake. The very beginning of the Moldau. Smetana indeed!

1 Like

I usually do as well and also my beloved Mauviel frying pan. MSteel 24 cm. Costs near nothing and is better than all non stick cheap tefal pans in holiday homes.

We were busy though and did not have much time to pack properly. 4 kids and both a full time job.

1 Like

Blunt knives! So bl00dy annoying. How hard is it to include a sharpening iron?

The other thing many holiday homes don’t get right is there are never any hooks to hang things on (coats, bags, towels, etc). They should be somewhere near the front door and on the back of every bedroom door.

Generally, holiday homes that are used by the owner but also let out are better stocked and catered in the convenience and quality department.

2 Likes

Nice!

The only record my kids have and frequently listen to:

1 Like